nucleus of "Brotherhood"

May 03, 1996 07:12 AM
by liesel f. deutsch

Dear Kim,
In answer to your not wanting to change this nomenclature, I'm very
definitely against calling it "Brotherhood". I'm not a brother, in or out of
the ES. I'm a sister, & I feel excluded, as would any number of younger
women in the US.

Kim, if you can come up with something that suits you better than "nucleus
of the human family", I'd probably go along with it, but calling me a
brother just rubs me the wrong way. I started out life trying to act like a
boy, because my father & my brother got subtle preferential treatment ...
not to be nasty, but as treatment due a man. When I realized what I was
doing, I did everything I could think of to discover what constitues a
woman, & to try to be one. I've read books, & taken courses, thought a lot
about it. It was a whole transformation. From that point of view, I no
longer tolerate being called a brother, or being part of a "Brothehood".
Women are just as good as men, they're different, but just as good.

I hope you can understand my point of view.

Liesel