Re: vis a vis CWL (history - Liesel: delete if offends]

May 02, 1996 12:57 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:19 AM 5/2/96 -0400, you wrote:
>A small correction, and an opinion adapted from my 1985 entry in
>"Bishops Irregular" [Alan Bain]:
>-------------------------------
>Leadbeater, Charles Webster.  16.2.1854 - 29.2.1934
>
>A former Church of England minister, he was ordained deacon in
>St. Andrew's Church, Farnham, Surrey on 21 December 1878, and
>priest in the same church on 21 December 1879 by Harold Browne,
>Bishop of Winchester, and was assigned to the parish of
>Bramshott. He became a theosophist in 1883, and was consecrated
>on 22 July 1916 by J.I.Wedgwood as Old Catholic Regionary Bishop
>for Australasia. In 1923 he became Presiding Bishop of the
>Liberal Catholic Church.
>
>He was successful in achieving both fame and notoriety, the
>former among theosophists, and the latter among the rest of the
>world. The author of a number of theosophical works, his best
>known work for Liberal Catholics is "The Science of the Sacra-
>ments," a work which is not at all scientific, and in which the
>sacraments referred to seem more of the order of 'high magic'
>than a true Christian Memorial. Brandreth [Episcopi Vagantes and the
>Anglican Church, S.P.C.K., 1948, 1961] states of the work that
>it "abounds in unhealthy mysticism and fantastic symbolism."
>
>Wedgwood had re-ordained him priest on 15 July 1916. A certain
>affinity seems to have existed between him and Wedgwood, which
>may have been due to a reputed mutual sexual interest in young
>boys, in connection with which Wedgwood was also alleged to have
>found his way out of the Church of England.
>
>According to Gregory Tillett, Leadbeater's biographer, the  'high
>spot' of Leadbeater's teaching to young men was reached during
>collective masturbation, whereby at the point of climax, all were
>exhorted to raise their thoughts to the highest planes. Wedgwood
>was alleged, incorrectly, to have died insane, and Leadbeater,
>although not a lunatic - he was far too shrewd  - appears to have
>lived in a dream world of his own. The same has been said of the
>Liberal Catholic Church, whose official teaching is still based
>upon the fantasies in Leadbeater's work.
>
>Leadbeater lied about his age. In consequence many, if not  most
>sources [prior to 1982/5] give his date of birth as 17 February
>1847. The date given above is taken from the photograph of his
>birth certificate published by Gregory Tillett in his book, "The
>Elder Brother."  (Routledge & Kegan Paul; London; Boston;
>Melbourne and Henley,  1982).  (Consecrator of: Cordes; Nyssens;
>Pigott; Tettemer; Thomson; J.R.; Walker; J.; Wardall.
>---------
>THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
>Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
>TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
>http://www.garlic.com/~rdon/TI.html
>
>Thank you Alan that is very interesting. Perhaps you can clear something up
for me, Hadn't both Leadbeater and Wedgewood been "defrocked" by the
Anglican Church for their sexual peccadillos? As "defrocked Priests'
wouldn't their consecration as Bishops have been irregular to say the least?
Obviously Wedgewood found another source of authority, what was it? I don't
know about either of them "dying insane" but shrewd or not, it could
reasonably be argued, based upon their lives and works, that both of them
"Lived insane", could it not? After all "living in a dream world of his own"
is practically the dictionary definition of psychosis. Why do you suppose
the silly man lied about his date of birth?

It's a shame Routledge & Kegan Paul has changed ownership and policies, they
were one of the better sources of alternative philosophical works.

By the way, have you encountered Liesel's accusations that Chuck and myself
are "E.S. agents provocateur" sent in to "destroy Theos-List"?
Your thoughts please.

fondly

alexis d.