vis a vis CWL (history - Liesel: delete if offends]

May 01, 1996 01:58 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960501073047.006a5be4@mail.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>All that business about appointing himself
>a Bishop and regarding Christ's circle of disciples, is that anything at all
>in the line of "service to theosophy"? I think Eldon, my problem is that, as
>I've grown older and learned a lot more, I have come to be certain that, no
>matter how popular CWL's works were, they in fact did an enormous disservice
>to theosophy.

A small correction, and an opinion adapted from my 1985 entry in
"Bishops Irregular" [Alan Bain]:
-------------------------------
Leadbeater, Charles Webster.  16.2.1854 - 29.2.1934

A former Church of England minister, he was ordained deacon in
St. Andrew's Church, Farnham, Surrey on 21 December 1878, and
priest in the same church on 21 December 1879 by Harold Browne,
Bishop of Winchester, and was assigned to the parish of
Bramshott. He became a theosophist in 1883, and was consecrated
on 22 July 1916 by J.I.Wedgwood as Old Catholic Regionary Bishop
for Australasia. In 1923 he became Presiding Bishop of the
Liberal Catholic Church.

He was successful in achieving both fame and notoriety, the
former among theosophists, and the latter among the rest of the
world. The author of a number of theosophical works, his best
known work for Liberal Catholics is "The Science of the Sacra-
ments," a work which is not at all scientific, and in which the
sacraments referred to seem more of the order of 'high magic'
than a true Christian Memorial. Brandreth [Episcopi Vagantes and the
Anglican Church, S.P.C.K., 1948, 1961] states of the work that
it "abounds in unhealthy mysticism and fantastic symbolism."

Wedgwood had re-ordained him priest on 15 July 1916. A certain
affinity seems to have existed between him and Wedgwood, which
may have been due to a reputed mutual sexual interest in young
boys, in connection with which Wedgwood was also alleged to have
found his way out of the Church of England.

According to Gregory Tillett, Leadbeater's biographer, the  'high
spot' of Leadbeater's teaching to young men was reached during
collective masturbation, whereby at the point of climax, all were
exhorted to raise their thoughts to the highest planes. Wedgwood
was alleged, incorrectly, to have died insane, and Leadbeater,
although not a lunatic - he was far too shrewd  - appears to have
lived in a dream world of his own. The same has been said of the
Liberal Catholic Church, whose official teaching is still based
upon the fantasies in Leadbeater's work.

Leadbeater lied about his age. In consequence many, if not  most
sources [prior to 1982/5] give his date of birth as 17 February
1847. The date given above is taken from the photograph of his
birth certificate published by Gregory Tillett in his book, "The
Elder Brother."  (Routledge & Kegan Paul; London; Boston;
Melbourne and Henley,  1982).  (Consecrator of: Cordes; Nyssens;
Pigott; Tettemer; Thomson; J.R.; Walker; J.; Wardall.
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk