Re: Brotherhood and TS Membership

May 01, 1996 12:25 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

>Dear Mr Ramadoss:
>
>I have seen you state repeatedly on this list that "agreement
>with the *first object* is the *only* requirement for joining
>the TS (I presume you mean TS Adyar).  I believe you are
>incorrect in this.  I also have been around for several decades,
>including involvement in lodge and federation work, and in that
>experience I recall that the requirement is to be in agreement
>with *the three objects of the Society*.
>
>The TSA membership application form states it as follows:
>"Having considered the three objects of the Society, and being
>in sympathy therewith, I hereby apply for admission as a member
>of the Society."  The three objects are listed above this
>declaration.

In 1889 HPB wrote:

"No member is obliged to feel in sympathy with all three objects;
suffice that he should be in sympathy with one of the three, and
be willing not to oppose the two others, to render him eligible
to membership of the T.S."   (B:CW XI, 335).

It would be interesting if someone took the time to find out when
the rule was changed and under what circumstances.

JHE

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |