Re: Is this a Theosophical List

Apr 30, 1996 11:37 PM
by Richtay

Liesel wrote,

> Rich and JRC
>
> I just sent an article copy to Bee Brown, which maybe contains an answer to
> your discussion. It's called "Doctrine & Dogma" (something like that) by
> Shirley Nicholson. It makes sense to me. So let's you try it on.
>
> First off, she points out that we *do* have a doctrine "The Secret
> Doctrine". Then she goes into a discussion of the difference between
> doctrine & dogma.

Liesel--

I think it is a fine distinction, particularly the part about being open to
new insights and -- GASP -- new truths.  HPB was sent out, it seems, to
provide a foundation for us to stand on, not a little army of believers.  Her
"doctrine" opens a ton of doors, and all later writers (yes, EVEN Mr. Judge)
rely upon her work.  All REPUTABLE writers acknowledge HPB's influence, while
those like Elizabeth Clare Prophet just borrow without acknowledgement.  No
matter.  The ideas are getting out there.

For whatever reason -- probably because of having attended a really wonderful
meeting tonight with lots of different kinds of spiritual seekers -- I am
re-claiming that part of myself which knows that all students of Theosophy
(whether CWL, AAB, Judge, Tingley, Purucker, Steiner, whatever) have been
growing out of the same foundation, and each deserve respect for what they've
tried to accomplish.

Maybe that makes me wishy-washy.  But I've decided tonight it's more
important to support people wherever they are than to point out how far
they've gone in my opinion from the source.  After we are all dead, what is
really going to matter?  Which version of the planes of existence one held
to?

I doubt it.

Rather, quoting a favorite line from the Buddhist tradition,

"In the end, these things matter most: How well did you love?  How fully did
you live?  How deeply did you let go?"