Re: rigidity/flexibility (Liesel & Jerry S)

Apr 28, 1996 12:17 PM
by Murray Stentiford

Liesel wrote in an earlier post>
>When you ask for a statement from anyone who's undergoing a transformation,
>it just occurred to me that I'm just undergoing a very major one. But it
>also makes me vulnerable, so I'll be darned if I'd expose my vulnerability
>on theos-l & let someone hack away on it. But I think that maybe I'll try
>medit-l & see what kind of a response I get.

Then recently she said>
>Thank you for sharing this image of your advancing along the Path.
>
>Mine has more to do with getting older, slowing down, & depending more on
>other people's strengths & abillities. It's not easy when you're used to
>fending for yourself for all your previous life. Like, I don't have a car
>anymore, because it's too expensive to maintain. I rent one for 1 week-end a
>month to do my errands. Today, I wanted to hit a sale at Dunk & Bright,
>because I need a new mattress. Makes no sense to hire a car for $40.- a day,
>to save $100.- on a mattress. Well, I asked a young friend to drive me. She
>didn't mind at all, but I'm used to doing everything for myself & I minded
>imposing on her. It's a general problem with older people, I understand. No
>one enjoys gettting to be so old that they have to depend on other people
>for their upkeep. But I'm facing it in my own situation. Thanks goodness the
>place where I live has lots of friendly staff.
>
>So while your change is that you're growing spiritually, mine is that I'm
>declining physically.
>
>I hope Jerry S. sends you a response.

Somehow, Liesel, I don't think you have just one and I have just the other.
In fact, I know it!

My mother has found it really tough, not being able to use the car any more.
After years of being able to leap in and go where she wants, it is pretty
frustrating.

I'm hoping she'll cotton on to the idea of the Internet, to sort of get
around in another way, and I have actually told her about you, as a shining
example of what can be done! But she is somebody who very much needs to do
things in her own way, at her own time and, preferably, because she thought
of it! She gets it from me ... :-) .

BTW, what did you intend to try out on medit-l?

And another BTW; Jerry has already sent a response:

Jerry>
>	First of all, Murray, thanks for showing the courage to
>post something honest and meaningful to you.  I especially like
>the above paragraph.  You have eloquently explained my whole
>view of ethics and morals in one sentence.  Bravo.

To you, Jerry, thanks for the encouragement.

And to you, Liesel, bye for now.

Murray
Member TI, & TS in NZ