Re: Basic scholarship

Apr 28, 1996 08:44 AM
by Blavatsky Foundation

Alexis,
In what I said quoted  below and what you replied to, my only point was that
if you can cite
what the scientific community believes about the absence, etc. of good
evidence for the
existence of lost civilizations,etc. and therefore dismiss HPB's teachings
on Anthropogenesis, then one could equally dismiss HPB's teachings on
psychic phenomena, the occult constitution of a human being, etc. in light
of the fact that the latest psychological studies generally agree that there
is no scientific justification for the existence of parapsychological
(psychic) phenomena.  That was my main point.  Period.

***********
Now personally, after studying parapsychology for 25 years, I believe there
is SOME
*scientific* justification and evidence for the existence of psychic phenomena.

I agree with Dr. Dean I. Radin, a psychologist and parapsychologist, when he
writes:

"...Over the last 50 years scientists investigating psi phenomena have
developed repeatable laboratory studies that demonstrate the existence of at
least three main classes of unexplained effects [telepathy, remote viewing
or clairvoyance, and psychokinesis."

[Maybe Paul Johnson will give us a review of the latest book he is reading
on parapsychology.  A book which clearly illustrates what Dr. Radin is
talking about.]

But I also agree with Dr. Andrew Greeley when he writes:

"...there's been a scientific iron curtain raised against serious research
on these [psychic, paranormal] experiences [that millions of people have
had]...."

And even one of  the most vocal skeptics of ESP and PK research/claims, Dr.
Ray Hyman, has admitted:

"...members of the scientific community often judge the parapsychological
claims *without firsthand knowledge of the experimental
evidence*....Parapsychologists have justification for their complaint that
the scientific community is dismissing their claims *without a fair
hearing*....."  Asterisks added.

Unfortunately,  I have found that far too many "scientific" skeptics and
disbelievers of the paranormal have the "open-minded attitude" exemplified
by Thomas Jefferson in his remarks concerning the discovery of a meteorite
by two scientists:

"...I would rather believe that those two Yankee Professors would lie than
to believe that stones fell from heaven."

Even scientists will dismiss or downplay evidence which would go against
their own
pet theories.  Could the latest anthopological studies, etc. also suffer
from this same kind of prejudice and disbelief?

Just food for thought.

Daniel

> [...]
>
>Obviously, at least as far as I'm concerned the reality of psychic phenomena
>are amenable to proof and disproof, at least to me. As to the unreality of
>death, I can accept what she claims by personal experience. As to
>reincarnation, My view of that is different than hers, and for all you know
>hers may have changed. As far as the cup and saucer, that was the dumbest
>trick she ever pulled it's been used to prove she was a fraud ever since it
>happened. And if you're the theosophical scholar you claim to be you know
>that's true. It doesn't matter whether she did it or not, most people don't
>believe it and that's what matters.
>

>But what does
>>official science
>>and the scientific community as a whole say that is relevant to these
>>teachings and claims of HPB's?
>>
>>For example, in an 1988  report prepared under the auspices of the National
>>Academy of Sciences,  the following conclusions were drawn:
>>
>>"...the best scientific evidence does not justify the conclusion that
>>ESP...exists."
>
>Now Daniel: You know I not only believe in ESP but practice it, BUT, what
>else can responsible scientists say, there is some statistical evidence
>amassed by The J.B. Rhine Institute, but when it comes to actual recordable
>empirical evidence, and reliably repeatable phenomena, what else can they
>say? As far as they know, they're right, and all those of us who are
>psychics can hope for is that a new methodology of "testing" or "Trying the
>spirits" will be developed by scientists who count. Those whole actually
>believe in ESP or paranormal phenomena are considered to be Kooks, at least,
>and crazy, at worst. And when one views the overall community (Theosophy
>included) who can blame them. CWL's maundering are hardly a good
>introduction to a serious philosophical study.
>
>>"...Nor does scientific evidence offer support for the existence of
>>psychokinesis...."
>
>See above.
>>
>>"The Commitee finds no scientific justification from reserach conducted over
>>a period
>>of 130 years for the existence of parapsychological phenomena."
>
>See above.
>>
>>Most members of this committee are well-known psychologists.
>
>These people are honestly reporting their opinions on what they have they
>can legitimately work with, you wouldn't suggest the Secret Doctrine as
>evidence would you?
>>
>>Furthermore, if ESP and PK were accepted in the scientific community, would we
>>not see parapsychology being taught in universities and colleges?  Would we
>>not see
>>parapsychology as a valid part of departments of psychology in universities
>>and colleges?
>>In reality, very few universities in the WHOLE world even have courses on
>>parapsychology. And can you  name the departments of psychology that have

The latest psychological studies all generally agree that there is no