Re: Is this a Theosophical List?:JRC's comments: How relevant are these comments?

Apr 27, 1996 09:58 PM
by Blavatsky Foundation

I thought that Rich and Eldon were talking about *this list* in their
postings.   In other
words, they were talking about Theos-l.  But then JRC gets off onto the
objects of the T.S.

I will quote a section or two from JRC's recent posting and then add several
random, off-the wall comments of my own.

*I* call myself a "Theosophist" because of full agreement with
the motto "There is no religion higher than truth", and because I not
only accept, but pursue, in my own little way, the expression of the
Three Objects in my day to day life. And according to the *Adepts
and HPB*, accepting those Objects is *all* that is required to call
myself a Theosophist, and *expressing them*, according to my own
ethical understanding and predilections, is *called* "Theosophy". I
practice what I consider to be *severely* "traditional Theosophy" -
in fact *so* traditional that to what *now* calls itself
"traditional Theosophy" I often appear radical, to those who wish
to define a specified set of doctrines that are official
"Theosophical" doctrines I am an anarchist, and to those who wish
to impose the study of specific doctrines as conditions for institutional
recognition - hence requiring what the Adepts and HPB *never* required - I
am at best a gadfly and at worst a nightmare.
	And this has reached the point that it is now claimed that I do
not even *accept* "traditional" Theosophy. But, BUT! - *HPB CREATED THE
OBJECTS OF HER SOCIETY, AND *SPECIFICALLY* SAID THAT THEIR ACCEPTANCE WAS
THE *SOLE* REQUIREMENT OF MEMBERSHIP*

End of JRC's posting.

Now my random, aimless, and unedited comments follow:

What do the objects of the T.S. have to do with this list---Theos-l?

Does Theos-l have the same three objects that the T.S. does?

And when JRC talks about the three objects of the T.S.,
 what T.S. is JRC talking about?  There are now a number of Theosophical
societies and even the United Lodge of Theosophists. And now there is Theosophy
International.  Now if JRC wants to be a member of the Adyar T.S., or of
T.I. or of whatever group,  that's fine.  But what does all that have to do
with THIS LIST?

 Do you have to be a member of a T.S. to subscribe to
this list?  I don't think so.

And is the new Theosophy International the same as Theos-l?  I hope not!

If Pat Robertson wanted to subscribe to this list, he could, couldn't he?
And could he post
e-mail messages telling how Theosophy in any form or description is from
Satan?  I would
hope he could!

Now I don't necessarily agree with some ofEldon's or  Rich's comments about
what this *list* should or
should not be.  But folks, the world is a large place.  If Rich and Eldon
want to create
another list that would confine itself to "traditional Theosophy* as they
might define it,
then more power to  them.  Maybe they should.  Or if I wanted to create a
list, where
the topic and focus of discussion is HPB's life, writings and teachings,
then I can also do
that.  If Eldon and Rich wanted to create a moderated list, then that is
their business.  Again
the world is a biiiiiiiiiiggggggggg place!

Hey, Rich and Eldon, did you know there is a theos-tech with only about 4 to
6 subscribers?
Why don't we subscribe to that forum and let JRC and Co. continue to do
their thing over
here on Theos-l?  Different strokes for different folks.   Turn the channel
if you don't like
the programming.

Personally, I am sick of hearing about liberty of thought, freedom of
thought, etc. etc.
I have liberty of thought and freedom to believe as I see fit.  And I don't
need to belong
to any existing Thesophical society or group in order to think my own
thoughts and come to my own conclusions.

Hey, you know, I can even read and study Theosophical books without ever
becoming a member of any of these Theosophical groups.  That way I don't
have to get sucked into
all these squabbles about how bad Radha may be, or what sneaky things the
Wheaton people may be up to, etc etc. ad infinitum and ad pukum!

Without ever being a member of any T. group,
I can study Theosophy and try to live it in my personal life and maybe try
to share it with
new people, people who could care less about Theosophical socieites and
groups, but who
might find some inspiration and upliftment from reading about Theosophy.

Hey, folks, instead of spending so much time on Theos-l, maybe we should all
get  out in our local communities and
let NEW  people know there is such a thing as Theosophy.  Most people don't
know about it.
Buy TONS of your favorite Theosophical books and share them with others.  The
Theosophical publishers will make some money and will reprint the books and NEW
people will hear about Theosophy, theosophy, Thesophia or however you want
to spell or
define the term.

And Eldon, JRC, Rich T., Richard I. and all you other aspiring authors,
write your views on
theosophy.  What's keeping you from writing that book or pamphlet?  And if
no Theosophical
publisher will publish it, hey, do what Paul Johnson did, publish it
yourself.  Yes, it will
cost some money, but if you really believe you have a message to give to
others, then
save your money and in a year or two or three or whatever, you can publish
your book
if only in a limited edition of 100 copies or 500 copies.  Start small and
publish a pamphlet.

Oh, BTW, JRC, where is your introductory article on Theosophy that I thought
you were
working on months ago?  I would really love to see it.

End of random output.............

DHC