Re: Is this a Theosophical List?

Apr 27, 1996 07:35 PM
by M K Ramadoss

JRC has brought up some issue that require some very serious consideration.
Some of them of particular interest to me are:

1. Theosophy - Theos-Sophia has not been defined in the Objects. I do not
think it is an oversight. I think it is very deliberate considering the
fact Divine Wisdom or Truth is not something fixed. So Theosophists who
are are all co-students in search of Truth which is not static and fixed
are in search of something that is dynamic. However much anything can be
described in words, it is not the real thing. In addition, due to
tradition and other reasons various words mean different things to
different people. But in the absence of a better medium of communication
and recording, we have the writings of HPB and others.

2. Three Objects of TS: The objects were not put together in great haste.
It evolved over a period of time. From what I have read, one need not
agree with the second and third objects. Just if one is in *sympathy*
with the First Object - Universal Brotherhood is all that is required of
any one who wants to join the Society. This is in total agreement with
what was stated to AP Sinnett in the letter from the Great Master wherein
it was Their intention not to form a school of psychology but to get men
and women who will help in the great idea of Universal Brotherhood.

 From a personal point of view, I have been around TS and Theosophy for
several decades. It is typical to find lodges having lectures on various
Theosophical "Theories" - they are facts for those Brahma Gnanis - but
should be theories until each one of us internally able to verify and
corroborate them. It was decades before I could connect between all these
lectures and the important task at hand. How can one help our fellow
humans in a practical way of implementing the concept of Universal
Brotherhood - each one of in our own way to be best of our understanding?
Again it appears that the fact that more people not being exposed to and
taking interest in Theosophy especially at a time all New Age interest
was increasing may be directly related to all of us including me losing
sight of the First Object and what it stands for. Many of us are doing
our best to best of our knowledge and understanding. But a more concerted
effort is needed to emphasize this important factor and bring it to the
attention of newer members.  Those newer members who join the TS for their
selfish purposes, when such key informationis provided,
may make them decide that TS is not their cup of tea and go elsewhere,
which is ok.

Why am I on this soap box? As I see the background of individuals who are
likely to succeed Nationally and Internationally, a miracle would be
needed to get kind of leaders who are likely to turn things around soon.
If the current trend continues, I am sorry to say, in our life time we
may see the TS to become just a publishing company with lots of assets
in the control of a few (after all litigations are completed and lawyers
plundering much of the assetsF). Even the Great Roman Empire
had its days. Where is it today? It decined and fell into oblivion.

The house is on fire. Let us awake and do something soon.

	....doss