Elitist Bodhisattvas?

Apr 26, 1996 10:53 AM
by Nicholas Weeks

Paul Johnson to Rich Taylor>
>...You go on to assert that HPB really cared
>about just a few students, that the ES, and then the Inner
>Group, show her real commitments, and that the TS and society
>at large were at best side interests.  How elitist!  If HPB was
>even one tenth the spiritual giant I believe her to be, she was
>overwhelmingly concerned with "the orphan humanity" and not
>with a handful of disciples who started to behave like cats in
>a bag the minute her back was turned-- more so after she died...

You are both right. In SD I, 207 it says:

"He [the "Nameless One"] has sacrificed himself for the sake of mankind,
though but a few Elect may profit by the GREAT SACRIFICE."

In the Bhagavad Gita there is a line about "one in 10,000 knowing me
[Krishna, our Higher Self] as I really am."  Adepts are the "efflorescence
of an age." So there is no conflict in caring, and working for all beings,
yet knowing full well that only "The Few" will profit by it. Thus,
focusing on sprouts that arise from fertile soil, rather than the seeds
rotting on rocky ground, is only compassionate. To do the opposite would
not be just to those who are ready, spiritually.

--
Nicholas <> am455@lafn.org <> Los Angeles
"Morality is water that cleanses stains of wrongdoing; it is moonlight