Re: Bee's post on Olcott

Apr 26, 1996 07:47 PM
by Bee Brown

Richtay@aol.com wrote:

> Bee writes,
>
> > I am beginning to get the idea that Theosophy to begin with was very
> > piecemeal and evolved bit by bit over a period of time. Olcott says that
> when
> > Isis was written neither he nor HPB were familiar with the later
> > reincarnation theories that became part of Theosophy.
>
> Bee, I think this is very true from a certain perspective, but not true from
> another.  From Olcott's view, Theosophy was slowly manifesting itself over
> the years he knew HPB.  He was absolutely ignorant of the Theosophical
> teachings before he met her, and so her personality was very wrapped up in
> how he experienced that unfolding.
>
> I find *Old Diary Leaves* fascinating, there are a lot of tid-bits there.
>  But I also caution myself that the events Olcott describes took place many,
> many years previously, his memory and his attitudes color a lot of what he
> writes.
>
> While Olcott was quite ignorant of Theosophy before he met HPB, for her part
> HPB had spent the entire middle part of her life, from ages 20 to 40,
> practically, training with Adepts, traveling the world and meeting spiritual
> leaders in every tradition.  I think there is no way she cold have been
> ignorant of such a FOUNDATIONAL doctrine as reincarnation.  After all, she
> spent something like 7 years in Tibet altogether, not to mention India etc.
>
> Olcott may never have HEARD Blavatsky talk about reincarnation, but when I
> read *Isis Unveiled*, I certainly see reincarnation in its pages.
>
> Finally, I think that near the end of his life, Olcott was dismayed about the
> Esoteric Section, and the huge popularity HPB had in some quarters.  She ws
> practically worshipped by some, and this greatly annoyed him, both for
> egotistical and for very practical and honest reasons.  So Olcott was trying
> to "set the record straight" and show how very human and liable to error HPB
> was.  I think his effort it a good one, but perhaps a bit overzealous in that
> department.  Human, sure, we all know that.  But ignornant of such basic
> Buddhism as reincarnation?
>
> I think Olcott is quite mistaken there.  Judge and HPB tell a very different
> story, and it would be very interesting to compare stories and try to come up
> with a "middle of the road" approach.

It would indeed be interesting to be able to remember what each of the
participants had to say on the various subjects. I will have to remember to
take Olcott with a grain of salt. I can get quite absorbed in whatever I am
reading at any given time and being reminded to keep the feet on the ground
is very handy. As you say the tid bits are fun and I have also learned a lot
from his discussion on the use of elementals  in much of the phenomena. I am
starting to look at the things around me with different eyes :-)
Many thanks for the interesting reply

   Bee Brown
   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
   Theos Int & L