Bee's post on Olcott

Apr 25, 1996 01:28 PM
by Richtay

Bee writes,

> I am beginning to get the idea that Theosophy to begin with was very
> piecemeal and evolved bit by bit over a period of time. Olcott says that
when
> Isis was written neither he nor HPB were familiar with the later
> reincarnation theories that became part of Theosophy.

Bee, I think this is very true from a certain perspective, but not true from
another.  From Olcott's view, Theosophy was slowly manifesting itself over
the years he knew HPB.  He was absolutely ignorant of the Theosophical
teachings before he met her, and so her personality was very wrapped up in
how he experienced that unfolding.

I find *Old Diary Leaves* fascinating, there are a lot of tid-bits there.
 But I also caution myself that the events Olcott describes took place many,
many years previously, his memory and his attitudes color a lot of what he
writes.

While Olcott was quite ignorant of Theosophy before he met HPB, for her part
HPB had spent the entire middle part of her life, from ages 20 to 40,
practically, training with Adepts, traveling the world and meeting spiritual
leaders in every tradition.  I think there is no way she cold have been
ignorant of such a FOUNDATIONAL doctrine as reincarnation.  After all, she
spent something like 7 years in Tibet altogether, not to mention India etc.

Olcott may never have HEARD Blavatsky talk about reincarnation, but when I
read *Isis Unveiled*, I certainly see reincarnation in its pages.

Finally, I think that near the end of his life, Olcott was dismayed about the
Esoteric Section, and the huge popularity HPB had in some quarters.  She ws
practically worshipped by some, and this greatly annoyed him, both for
egotistical and for very practical and honest reasons.  So Olcott was trying
to "set the record straight" and show how very human and liable to error HPB
was.  I think his effort it a good one, but perhaps a bit overzealous in that
department.  Human, sure, we all know that.  But ignornant of such basic
Buddhism as reincarnation?

I think Olcott is quite mistaken there.  Judge and HPB tell a very different
story, and it would be very interesting to compare stories and try to come up
with a "middle of the road" approach.