ML 48

Apr 19, 1996 09:31 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <960418203414_76400.1474_HHL83-8@CompuServe.COM>, Jerry
Schueler <76400.1474@compuserve.com> writes
>Dan, quoting MLs:
>>"Vainly do your modern seers and their prophetesses, creep into every cleft
>>and crevice without outlet or continuity they chance to see; and still more
>>vainly, when once within do they lift up their voices and loudly cry:
>>'Eureka!  We have gotten a revelation from the
>>Lord!'---for verily have they nothing of the kind.

I checked this in my UK-published copy (Rider & Co., 1923-30), and the
quote is the same.

Now excuse me for saying this, but we Brits are not unfamiliar with the
history of the Brisish Raj in India, and although and educated Indian
might use (even for that time) anachronistic quasi-biblical language
such as "verily" it is *extremely* doubtful that one such would use the
very American word "gotten" - which after many a year, I still haven't
got used to, if you all get my drift ...

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age