Re: TI Introduction

Apr 18, 1996 03:33 PM
by Alan

In message <199604180040.AA11419@zipper.zip.com.au>, Michelle Donald
<michelle@zip.com.au> writes

>>    Petrovna Blavatsky, formed the first formal Theosophical Society
>>    in New York in 1875.  The successors to this Society
>>    incorporated it in Madras, India, in 1905.
>
>I dont see the need for this last sentence, could you please explain
>its purpose?

Because it is historically true, and that in the intervening period the
objects of the original NY-founded Society had changed to their present
form, being present in the Articles of Incorporation of the Adyar
Society - available as a text file from me if you would like a copy.

>>    Theosophists and The Theosophical Society (Pasadena) - both of
>>    which are based in the U.S.A.  There are also said to be other
>>    minor theosophical organisations subscribing to the same or a
>
>I find the use of the word minor a judgmental term and the deletion
>of this word from the sentence wouldnt detract from the meaning of
>the sentence. For who are any of us to say whether one organization
>is minor.

I intended it to mean "small in size" but as you say, its removal would
not detract from the meaning, so I will delete it! :-)

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age