Re: Netiquette guidelines and the future of Theos-l, etc.

Apr 17, 1996 04:05 PM
by ramadoss

At 03:11 PM 4/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>It's good to see some suggestions for netiquette on Theos-l from Michelle,
>Liesel and Alan.  I would also suggest that we be more aware of what
>we post of Theos-l, etc.
>
>One problem I see is the large number of daily postings by a few individuals.
>One night at 9 pm I checked my Theos-l mail.  Then only 10 hours later I
>checked my
>mail again and found more than 40 messages from Theos-l.  Of these  messages
>18 had been posted by one individual and 22 had been posted by another
>person!  This
>may be an extreme example but...

MKR: I think how many messages anyone posts is their business. If someone
has the time and interest to write messages and post them, so much the
better. If I have the interest and time to spend all night long and post 400
messages, then why should I be discouraged by anyone. Again if someone does
not want to read my messages there are two options that I use (1) hit the
delete key liberally and frequently - it kills the message instantly (2) use
filters - a filter feature can segregate messages based on one or more
criteria and you can even set it up such that a message can be directed
directly to "Trash" mailbox.

>A friend of mine who is involved in alot of Usenet groups tells me that some
>of these
>groups limit you to 3 to 5 postings per day.  I am not suggesting that some
>limit be
>enforced, but each of us might be a little more aware of the number we send
>and try to
>be considerate of others.  I am on a commercial service where I pay $20 a
>month for
>unlimited internet access.  But many of you probably pay by the hour and
>reading tons
>of messages may be expensive (not to mention time-consuming).

MKR: With such a small number of subscribers and such a small number of
active message posters, I think *any* limit on the number of messages will
be very inappropriate and undesirable. Already we do not have much
participation and any effort on this issue will be very detrimental.

The commercial Internet access prices are plummeting. Currently in my city
one can get unlimited PPP access for $10.00 (ten) per month with a sign up
fee of $10.00. Anyone spending more money should try shopping around and
they may find a better deal they can use. Of course what anyone wants to do
is their business. I just wanted to share the current market pricing
information.

>Also there is the common practice to quote from three or four previous
>messages and then
>add one or two lines of comment.  One has to read through all the previous
>stuff just
>to find that someone says at the end:   "I agree", etc.
>
>6 or 7 people have told me privately that they had stopped subscribing to
>Theos-l because
>there is just too much inane chit-chat, one and two-liners, etc.  Maybe

MKR: If someone wants to unsubscibe because of the above, then my comment
above on delete/filter may help.

>John Mead could have a separate forum called Theos-chitchat?  Or maybe serious
>discussion could be posted on roots, news or buds and theos-l could be
>reserved for
>chit-chat, etc.  Therefore, those who are bored by such chitchat could
>unsubscribe to
>Theos-l and people who want to have serious, indepth discussions on
>Theosophy could
>subscribe, post and read on buds, news or roots?  We do have four separate
>lists and
>most postings are on Theos-l.  Therefore, the other 3 forums are unused for
>all practical
>purposes.  HINT HINT
>
>Some discussion and critical comments have also occurred on Theos-l
>concerning the no growth or drop in membership in the various Theosophical
>groups, yet the number of subscribers to Theos-l has not grown in the last
>year or so.  In fact 2 or 3 weeks ago, the total number of subscribers was
>less than 90.  And I remember 6 to 12 months ago, when that total was (I
>believe) over 100.  What's going on here?

MKR: A very good question. One of the problems we face is that not much
publicity is given to theos-l in the official publications of the various TS
organizations. It is not just enough to publish the info on theos-l just in
one issue. Unless it is repeatedly published in each issue, it does not
help. Even I had a hard time to find out about theos-l since I did not ask
very precise questions. I found out the old traditional way - word of mouth
thru grapevine. It is a very sorry state of affairs.

>Also the vast majority of subscribers to Theos-l are LURKERS.  Now that's
>okay if they
>want to be lurkers.  But I am curious why such a high percentage of
>subscribers never
>post or seldom ever post anything to Theos-l?  PLEASE LURKERS PLEASE TELL US IN
>PUBLIC OR PRIVATE WHY YOU DON'T JOIN IN.

MKR: I would like to hear from lurkers. Lurkers should be welcomed and made
feel comfortable that they will not be either challenged or ridiculed for
anything they post. Only then will the lurkers come out.

>Again, could John Mead clarify what relationship Theos-l, buds, news and
>roots have to
>the Theosophical Society in America (Wheaton).  I was under the impression
>that these
>Internet forums were sponsored by the TSA but now I am told that this is no
>longer the case.

MKR: When I signed up for theos-xxxx, one of the first things I got
clarified about any financial or other administrative direct/indirect
support the John gets from TSA.

The answer was NONE, NONE, NONE.

It is the result of John's interest and enthusiasm that he has provided a
forum for all of us. He has earned a great amount of good Karma. We should
all be very grateful for what he has done for all of us.

The total independence of this list from all TS organizations has gives it
the kind of independence that we all have seen. If any organization provides
any kind of support, you can be sure sooner or later there will be attempts
to directly or indirectly censor what is going on. Glad we have such an open
forum due to its independence.

>Again, to the LURKERS, please share what you know about Theosophy with the
>rest of
>us.  Post a review of a good book on Theosophy, psychic phenomena,
>Gnosticism, shamanism, magic, kabala, etc. etc. If you have found a book of
>great value, SHARE it with the rest of us.  What's going on in other parts
>of the world with Theosophy?  Are there events or lectures, etc. going on in
>Australia, New Zealand, England, Finland?  Would someone living in one of
>those countries post from time to time what's going on in your country?

MKR: Very good and positive questions. Feedback from various countries will
be very valuable. It may also provide us with opportunities to see if some
of us could help the activities in other countries in any way. I would be
waiting to hear what is going on in rest of the world.

>Can anyone who attended any of the Judge Centennial Events in Ojai,
>Pasadena, Wheaton or
>Coulterville post a summary of what happened?
>
>The Internet is here but I still don't believe we Theosophists are taking
>full advantage of
>it.  We are not even taking full advantage of the Theos-l, etc. forums!  No
>wonder most of the
>world knows little it anything about Theosophy!!
>
>I will probably get flamed for some of the above remarks but I am trying to
>be honest with my comments.  I am not trying to criticize anyone.   Just
>giving (hopefully) some food for thought.
>
>Daniel

MKR: I am glad to see your msg which is timely. After all we are all trying
to make theos-l help more people to get exposed to Theosophy. So any and all
opinions and comments from every one - including lurkers are welcome. Let
get all the inputs and make this list very effective and useful.

>P.S.   BEE, could you do a short review of that new book from Adyar on
>Discipleship as
>found in THE MAHATMA LETTERS?  Wheaton TPH and the Quest Bookshop in New York
>did not have the book and knew nothing about the book when I talked to them
>about a month ago.

MKR: It is rather interesting that it is available in NZ but not in US. Any
possible explanation from anyone?

        ....Doss