Re: To Eldon: Do vs Be

Apr 13, 1996 02:05 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Jerry S:
>>The purpose of life is to be, not to do.
>
>I'm not sure I agree. Simple beingness is only a partial
>participation in life. One participates in space, and
>has a static appreciation of life. Doing things brings
>one to a participation in time (via state changes in
>oneself and others), and moves one from static to dynamic
>beingness.
>-- Eldon

	I didn't expect you to agree, Eldon.  We have
discussed this one before.  You are absolutely right
when you say that doing gets us involved in manifestation,
but when you worry about static vs dynamic, you are
too deep into dualism.  By "be" I don't mean just sitting
around breathing.  By "do" I don't mean just acting.  The
idea of "do" involves goals and objectives and a sense
of accomplishment.  The "wonderful statement" says,
it matters not what we do, so all of our goals and
objectives are relative and inconsequential in the
final analysis.  Our sense of accomplishment after
"doing" is all part of maya.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI