Re: Sexism in religion

Apr 11, 1997 06:30 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 08:04 PM 4/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In message <v01530504af74080faefb@[206.184.204.246]>, Thoa Tran
><thoa@withoutwalls.com> writes
>>Hi Alan,
>>
>>I'm not referencing you because I left your e-mail message on the other
>>computer and don't feel like turning it on.
>>
>>Yes, sexism is definitely in all the religions.  Even in Buddhism,
>>traditionally the monks would not allow women into their fold because it
>>causes distractions for the men.  There was this story of a woman who
>>wanted to become a Buddhist monk but no one would accept her because of her
>>beauty.  In desperation, she mutilated her face by branding it.
>>Afterwards, she was accepted.
>
>These sorts of stories can make me very angry.
>
>>  Now, I think that if a person can have a
>>family, finances to deal with, and a job, and still be a holy person, then
>>that is true holiness.  It's very easy to follow all the rules when
>>everything adverse is taken away from you.  If I don't have chocolate
>>pudding in the house, I can't eat it.
>
>Agreed 100%!  I have known very few people of such stature, but they are
>occasionally to be found.
>
>>  I find it amusing that the military
>>now has to deal with increasing enrollment of women.  I'm reading accounts
>>of all sorts of sex and sexism scandals in the military.
>
>Me too, as it happens here as well.  Right now the problem for the
>military has been extended to inlude gays of both kinds ...

   I think the problem is going to go away in the future. In talking to the
present youngsters in middle and his schools, there appears to be less and
less interest in them joining military. In the US, if you declare yourself
as gay, they don't want you in the military at all. But you could be a
politician, one of these days heading the military as a defence secretary
(minister)!!!

mkr