Sexism in religion

Apr 11, 1997 08:33 AM
by Thoa Tran

Hi Alan,

I'm not referencing you because I left your e-mail message on the other
computer and don't feel like turning it on.

Yes, sexism is definitely in all the religions.  Even in Buddhism,
traditionally the monks would not allow women into their fold because it
causes distractions for the men.  There was this story of a woman who
wanted to become a Buddhist monk but no one would accept her because of her
beauty.  In desperation, she mutilated her face by branding it.
Afterwards, she was accepted.  Now, I think that if a person can have a
family, finances to deal with, and a job, and still be a holy person, then
that is true holiness.  It's very easy to follow all the rules when
everything adverse is taken away from you.  If I don't have chocolate
pudding in the house, I can't eat it.  I find it amusing that the military
now has to deal with increasing enrollment of women.  I'm reading accounts
of all sorts of sex and sexism scandals in the military.

Thoa