More "finessing"

Apr 12, 1996 11:46 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Reading Prothero more closely, I noticed two examples of
"finessing" that hadn't struck me before.  He reports Olcott's
short-lived resignation as president without saying either that
it was under pressure, who inspired it or what the issues
were.  This "finesses" a sexual issue, but no more than the
author does later in reporting the 1906 Leadbeater scandal.  In
the body of the book, the author simply says that "he
adjudicated another Theosophical crisis, which resulted in the
resignation of the Anglican cleric turned Theosophical
Buddhist, Charles W. Leadbeater."(169) An endnote gives just a
tad more information.

It looks more and more as if the price of cooperation from
Theosophical officialdom is engaging in the same kind of
evasion of unpleasant truths that they have practiced for so
long.  Sort of a catch-22: the only way you can get access to
the secrets is if you take a vow of silence.