Re: Giggling at the Morally Upright

Apr 10, 1996 11:14 PM
by Richtay

Dear Greg,

You will indeed face the firing squad, sir.  How DARE you quote the founder
of the modern Theosophical movement to a bunch of Theosophists?  The
following is, I must say, over-stepping your bounds:

> "Theosophy has to inculcate ethics. . . . . . .It is not by studying
Occultism for selfish ends, for the gratification of one's personal ambition,
> pride, or vanity, that one can ever reach the true goal:  that of helping
suffering mankind. . . . . . . I have said already that a true Theosophist
> must put in practice the loftiest moral ideal, must strive to realize his
unity with the whole of humanity, and work ceaselessly for others.  Now, IF
> AN OCCULTIST DOES NOT DO ALL THIS, he must act selfishly for his own
personal benefit. . . . . . .he becomes forthwith a far more dangerous enemy
to the
> world and those around him than the average mortal." (caps mine) (Key pp.
24 & 25, facsimile ed.)
What were you thinking, Greg?

Regardless of the fact that HPB's private life was in fact the paragon of
virtue; regardless of the fact that her Masters time and time again attempted
to inculcate ethics (and yes MORALS) to their Eastern and Western students;
regardless of the fact that Theosophy has called to itself some of the wisest
and purest people on the planet -- what's that to us?

We who are free of all such silly constraints?
We who are gods beyond all compare?
We who have already attained the goal and have no need of guidance?
We who bray like donkeys at the mere mention of RULES and VOWS and MORALITY?

Get thee to a nunnery, Greg.  What WERE you thinking?