Re: Wagner

Apr 10, 1996 00:33 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 10:21 PM 4/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, liesel f. deutsch wrote:
>> Hi, Alexis,
>> We agree on Beethoven ... and on Mozart. When it comes to Wagner, I know
>> you're right. One of my college courses was on Wagner, & I ended it with a
>> 30pp paper on "Meistersinger", which I researched almost as carefully as
>> Wagner did. Did you know that he used some of the original Meister songs? I
>> enjoy Wagner, but the enjoyment is tarnished by the fact that he was the
>> Nazis' folk hero. I like Shostakovitch, but to me, he's not that
>> outstanding. I prefer Aron Copland.
>> Liesel
>
>Liesel ...
>	Yes ... I love Wagner myself, but I think it was Dave Barry that
>once said "I enjoy Wagner's music, but every time I hear it I get an
>inexplicable urge to invade Poland".
>							(-:), -JRC
>
>Ah yes..the germans...the Russians...(my family had large estates in
Poland)...the austrians...the Lithuanians....the Swedes.....and even the
Hungarians (in Gregor Rokoczy's time)...and of course the Mongols and the
Teutonic Knights...all felt the urge to invade Poland...EVERYBODY invades
Poland..tha Nazis just capitalized on what appears to be a universal hobby!
The fascinating thing about R.Wagner, is that despite the fact that he was a
totally dispicable SOB, he was something of a left-wing political
revolutionary, especially in his younger days! He was certainly a sexual
revolutionary!

alexis