Re:OK on Semantics

Apr 09, 1996 06:47 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Alexis:
> Most humans are afraid of developing
>awareness of the levels of the relative realities beyond the
>physical/emotional because they are afraid of what they will learn about the
>nature of the human condition by way of that awareness.
	I think you hit the nail on the head.

> My only
>real complaint in regard to your position is that I have a strong suspicion
>that you are over simplifying something that really isn't at all simple.
	Of course I am.  And, no, it isn't.  BUt what I am trying to do, is
show some theosophists that it can be put into relatively simple words, and
really doesn't need the vast array of confusing and misleading terminology
that theosophy now uses.

>Jerry: here's one spot where I disagree, but not only with you. I just
>cannot accept the notion of "seven planes of existence" I see the relative
>realities as composed of infinite numners of levels of reality. Does that
>mean I disagree with HPB? Yep! I think the so-called "seven cosmic planes"
>are a tremendous over-simplification of abstract reality.
	I doubt that HPB would disagree with you.  Her 7 planes is only
a model--one of many models that human beings create from time to
time to try to structure the magical universe.  Its as good as any.  The fact
is, within those 7 planes, there are, as you say, an infinite number of
possible experiences (just like there are millions of separate and
distinct experiences going on here on Earth right now).

> Of course the body doesn't go
>anywhere, but as to the "spirit". perhaps it can, perhaps, on occasion, it
>does.
	Well, I don't know about "spirit" but consciousness sure
seems to move around, or as I like to say, shift its focus.  I agree
with Richard that Theosophy needs to concentrate on a psychological
perspective, or psychogenesis, if it is to survive.  Thats why I prefer
to talk about sensitivity and shifting conscious focus, rather than
going to other planes or globes.

>Well, I don't know Jerry. Any dicipline that regularly leads to abuse can be
>said to have an "in-built" flaw. What is there, intrinsic to Yoga and
>"magic" that so regularly produces spiritual onanism?
	I suspect that we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
I see yoga and magic as techniques or devices that we human beings
can use as a means to an end.  If someone smokes at night and
burns down their house, I would not blame fire.  The fact that only a
few use magic and yoga successfully is a demonstration of human
beings at the present time, and not the fault of the devices used.  I
probably risk saying this to you, but I see Shamanism as another
device or technique, and it too is only successful for the few.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI