Re: women and Theosophy

Mar 10, 1996 06:03 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

>Hi,
>This is my fist message to this listserv, so let's see if it
goes!

>I'm doing a paper on theosophy. particularly feminism and
>theosophy.  Looking for the effect theosophy may have had on
>women's spiritual or practical lives, women in theosophy,
>feminist theory and theosophy. I have begun with H.P.B. (The
>Theosophical Society is in my town), but have found only one
>citation that begins to connect women and theosophy. Any ideas
>out there?  Anyone else exploring in this area?
>
>Happy to hear from you,
>
>S. Gegenhuber

Hi,

Sounds like you are taking an historical approach.  Personally, I
question whether the Modern Theosophical Movement per se has had
any lasting effect upon the women of any culture, let alone the
cultures themselves, except perhaps the Icelandic.  On the other
hand, Annie Besant made some notable contributions to Women's
rights, but this was all done outside of Theosophy, and before
she joined the TS.  Perhaps you might consider some other
approaches where you could analyze feminist issues within the
writings of the Organizations and look at the Organizations
themselves.  For instance, with a rhetorical approach you might
look at the Victorian and Modernist language that still dominates
Theosophical literature.  I would start with the three objects
(last revised in 1896), and compare them to the rewording used in
the recent by-law change.  I could see that as a paper in itself.

 From a structuralist view, one could look at the
hierarchical structure and inter-relationships of the TS:
Masters; Outer Head; President; E.S. Members; T.S. members etc.
You might visit some Lodge meetings and observe how the
hierarchical structure works on a Lodge level.  This could be the
bases of an interesting post-modern paper.  From another
perspective, I find it interesting, that the T.S. has no women
Masters.  Subba Row wrote an article saying that they exist (See
the TS hierarchy.  It is sort of like the glass ceiling principle
of corporate structures.  Even with C.W.L.'s later introduction
of new Masters, no women were added--though Annie Besant became
an "Adept."  I would also look at George Arundale's "World
Mother" concept.  Does it reinforce Victorian, Modernist or Post-
Modern values concerning women?

 From a psychoanalytic approach, one might be interested in
Blavatsky's, Besant's and Tingley's drive to power.  What were
the internal factors that put them into power.  How did they use
it?  How was it used differently from how the men used it--for
instance Olcott, Leadbeater and Purucker?  Another interesting
essay might be on Besant's pattern of becoming entirely dependent
upon the men in her life and deferring her power to them.

 From a Lacanian approach, one could look at the function of a
Theosophical leader's "desire" and "drive" in relationship to the
"petit a"  if you have taken any classes in this area.

If you are interested in the effect of theosophy in the lives of
Women members, any of the above approaches could work.  Though I
would look at the lives of members as well as the leaders.

>FYI, I am in Pasadena, just a few short blocks from the
>Theosophical Society Library. The fact that so many women have
>been leaders in the theosophical movement is what drew my
>attention to it.

This throws a different wrinkle on things.  You could interview
Grace and Kirby at the library.  They knew Tingley personally.
KT was a real social activist.

>I've recognized a number of themes in HPB's works that could be
>considered "of the feminine," as Ms. Deutsch verified.  HPB
>herself did not seem to be involved in feminist social justice,
>as were others who assisted poor women, etc.

Take a look at volume 11 of the Blavatsky Collected Works.  HPB
has a couple of essays on the universal institution of marriage
and how it is designed to exploit women.  I think it is a fine
essay and the points she makes are still valid and important
today.  Though HPB did not go out and burn her bra, feminist
themes are all through her writings, as you have already pointed
out.  H.P.B.'s ideas concerning justice, ethics, inter-
relationships etc. compared to post-modern notions of the same
could make a very impressive essay.

>Her research seems to be remarkable. One of my interests is a
>tracing of sources or thinking that may have influenced "New
>Age" feminism, particularly "secret" teachings or philosophical
>ideas that appear to be emerging in ritual, practices and ethics
>of late 20th century witchcraft and eco-feminism.

I think the Theosophical contribution to "New Age" philosophy is
to be found more in C.W. Leadbeater's writings than H.P.B.'s.
Ask Kirby at the Library about Theosophy vs Neo-theosophy.  He
can give you a lot of good background.  Antoine Faivre's ~Access
to Western Esotericism~ (SUNY, 1994) will give you a good
academic framework to make some other important distinctions.  He
puts Alice Bailey's Arcane School in the new religions category,
where Theosophy is a syncretism of Eastern and Western Esoteric
traditions.  As for "tracing of sources of things" (an
Intellectual history approach) You might start with CWL's
concepts concerning group souls and soul mates.  I don't think
the "`secret' teachings" will be of much help for your paper, but
might be valuable for a thesis.

>Wicca and Theosophy have obvious differences, but practices such
>as magic, and ideas such as immanence, inter-relatedness and
>personal experience seem to be more clearly articulated in
>theosophical studies rather than in anything passed down from
>ancient folk-practice or Goddess worship.

But these ideas changed over the years in the TS.  I think you
will need to take this into account.

>I'm in the last third of a masters program in Feminist
>Spirituality at Immaculate Heart College. This little paper is a
>15-pager for a Historical Perspectives on Feminist Spirituality,
>so it's primarily a secondary source paper that hopefully can
>open some doors toward original research.

You are very fortunate to be near the Pasadena TS library, as it
will be a tremendous resource for you.  Speaking from experience,
you paper will be opening more and more possible doors for you as
you get into it.  I'm also working on a historical paper
concerning Theosophy.

>I'm just barely scratching the surface of "women and theosophy"
>in this case, but hope to develop a thesis of some sorts for
>continuing independent study.

Keep in touch as to your progress.  I'm very interested in
knowing where you go with it, and I might be of some help too.

>I appreciate hearing about people doing research in this area,
>and should this paper develop into something, I'll be getting
>far more involved in the future. Thanks!

I'm in thesis stage in my program at C.S.U. Stanislaus.  My topic
concerns the influence of Theosophy on the poet, W.B. Yeats.  I
have already found a lot of information in unpublished and
unknown documents that have not yet been touched by earlier
writers.  I have written a paper or two during my undergrad and
grad studies on feminist criticism, but my strong points are new
historical and Lacanian criticism.  My thesis will be using (new)
historical and critical analysis.

You might be interested in a new book that recently came out
called ~Women in the Golden Dawn~ by Mary Greer.  It is available
in the Feminist studies section at any Barns and Noble bookstore.
I think you will find the book stimulating and should give you a
lot of good ideas.
       I'm glad you wrote.  You made my day.

Thanks
Jerry

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |