Re: Women and theosophy

Mar 10, 1996 08:05 AM
by liesel f. deutsch

Dear S. Gegenhuber

Right off the bat, there were an awful lot of women in leadership posts in
the TS. Beginning with HPB herself, continuing with Annie Besant, there were
& are a multitude of leaders & writers, down to Grace Knoche who's the
present Leader of the Pasadena Theosophical Society.... Mabel Collins, Dora
Kunz, Shirley Nicholson, Joy Mills are some of the ones I can think off
right off the bat.

I think Theosophists treat men & women alike .... for instance, those who
work at Olcott get equally minimal salaries.

In our thinking, the so called female functions such as intuition, feeling &
etc. are acknowledged. They are part of what each of us is trying to
develop, as we try to grow spiritually. Our favorite Psychiatrist is Jung
with his archetypes, & his anima/mus. The Theosophist Dr. Roberto Assagioli,
a contemporary of Jung, came up with the idea of Psychosynthesis rather than
-analysis. Synthesis is also considered a female function.

That's just casually scratching the surface.

For scads of material, try the Olcott Library. If you're in the United
States, & aren't a member of the TS Adyar, the fee is $35.- per an. If you
belong to the TS Adyar, getting books & info from the Olcott Librwary comes
with being a member.

Have fun, & keep us posted

Liesel