A Hallowed Soul

Feb 27, 1996 05:29 PM
by Nicholas Weeks

"The chief aim of the Founders of the Eclectic Theosophical School
was one of the three objects of its modern successor, the
Theosophical Society, namely, to reconcile all religions, sects and
nations under a common system of ethics, based on eternal
verities." [~The Key to Theosophy,~ pp. 3-4]

Ammonius Saccas and his disciples started the Eclectic Theosophical
system. Since Ammonius taught orally and wrote little or nothing,
his worthy disciple and Initiate Plotinus (204-270), may be our
best root source of some of the teachings of the Hermetic branch of
the Occult Brotherhood.

In ~Plotinus: The Enneads~ (tr. by Stephen MacKenna, Larson
Publications, 1992, pp. 16-17) is praise for this true Theosophist.
The tribute comes from the Oracle of Apollo quoted by Plotinus'
biographer and disciple, Porphyry (232?-204?).
********************

  "I raise an undying song, to the memory of a gentle friend, a
hymn of praise woven to the honey-sweet tones of my lyre under the
touch of the golden plectrum.
  The Muses too, I call to lift the voice with me in strains of
many-toned exultation, in passion ranging over all the modes of
song:
  even as of old they raised the famous chant to the glory of
Aeacides in the immortal ardours of the Homeric line.
  Come then, Sacred Chorus, let us intone with one great sound the
utmost of all song, I Phoebus, Bathychaites, singing in the midst.
  Celestial! Man at first, but now nearing the diviner ranks! The
bonds of human necessity are loosed for you and, strong of heart,
you beat your eager way from out the roaring tumult of the fleshly
life to the shores of that wave-washed coast free from the
thronging of the guilty, thence to take the grateful path of the
sinless soul:
  where glows the splendour of God, where Right is throned in the
stainless place, far from the wrong that mocks at law.
  Oft-times as you strove to rise above the bitter waves of this
blood-drenched life, above the sickening whirl, toiling in the mid-
most of the rushing flood and unimaginable turmoil, oft-times, from
the Ever-Blessed, there was shown to you the Term still close at
hand:
  Oft-times, when your mind thrust out awry and was like to be rapt
down unsanctioned paths, the Immortals themselves prevented,
guiding you on the straightgoing way to the celestial spheres,
pouring down before you a dense shaft of light that your eyes might
see from amid the mournful loom.
  Sleep never closed those eyes: high above the heavy murk of the
mist you held them; tossed in the welter, you still had vision;
still you saw sights many and fair not granted to all that labour
in wisdom's quest.
  But now that you have cast the screen aside, quitted the tomb
that held your lofty soul, you enter at once the heavenly consort:
  where fragrant breezes play, where all is unison and winning
tendnerness and guileless joy, and the place is lavish of the
nectar-streams the unfailing Gods bestow, with the blandishments of
the Loves, and delicious airs, and tranquil sky:
  Where Minos and Rhadamanthus dwell, great brethren of the golden
race of mighty Zeus; where dwell the just Aeacus, and Plato,
consecrated power, and stately Pythagoras and all else that form
the Choir of Immortal Love, that share their parentage with the
most blessed spirits, there where the heart is ever lifted in
joyous festival.
  O Blessed One, you have fought your many fights; now, crowned
with unfading life, your days are with the Ever-Holy.
  Rejoicing Muses, let us stay our song and the subtle windings of
our dance; thus much I could but tell, to my golden lyre, of
Plotinus, the hallowed soul."

--
Nicholas <> am455@lafn.org <> Los Angeles
 First of all, love truth for its own sake, for otherwise no recognition of