Re: 3 Protest Unconstitutional Bill

Feb 08, 1996 08:48 AM
by Gregg Bartle

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:07:30 -0500, sge95fmo@lustudat.student.lu.se
(Fredrik Montelius) wrote:

>I understand that I have failed to distinguish
>between my stating the Masters feeling the need to appoint a *thought
>police* and,
> as I SHOULD have written,  a PROPHECY such a thing will once see the light
>of day.
>Personally, I am not wholly against the idea for the reasons stated by Mr
>Stentiford, but my PERSONAL view in this matter
>has NOTHING to do with the Theosophical teachings
>and should therefore not be mixed with the views of the Masters.

Thank you for this clarification. I should apologize myself for being
a bit explosive. The issue at hand is one that should be reasonably
debatable among reasonable people. Still, I admit to being almost an
absolutist when it comes to civil liberties, so the implication that
HPB *advocated* the policing idea naturally pressed all my hot
buttons.

At another time, perhaps, we may want to discuss the issue of a
theosophical, or even just spiritual, approach to civil liberties.
There are clearly some differences among us, and such a discussion may
even help our thinking on some other issues that have concerned these
lists in the past, i.e. democracy in the TS organizations.

Well, this little teapot is declaring the tempest quelled, and I hope
we remain friends.

---By the way--- I haven't gotten any mail from the theos-l list in
over 2 days, even though I have been sending mail to there (including
a reposting (sent twice) of my original message that started this
thread). Normally, I would at least see my own messages come back.
Does anyone else have this problem? Is it just me or is the theos-l
list having trouble?

     Peace to all beings -

     Gregg Bartle, member Theosophy International