Re: Protest Unconstitutional Bill

Feb 06, 1996 01:20 PM
by Fredrik Montelius

>Comment to the "Protest Unconstitutional Bill": The "Protest
Unconstitutional Bill" was sent to theos-buds pleading members of the TS to
"sign" the protest referring to the notion that freedom of thought is a
central belief among American Theosophists. But let's pause to think for a
moment what it all means before we jump to conclusions. Almost any Good
American would stand up for the rights of the First Amendment Right to
Freedom of Speech.This is very understandable. Far too many can testify to
the pains of restrictions on this freedom, forced by a state upon the
individual man. But among all cries for The Individual Rights, often the
aspect of Individual Responsibility is forgotten. Did not HPB rage against
the media and did she not just hate all the "mental pollution" (my
expression) distributed by newspapers (and I am more than certain she would
include any other media operating today) saying that journalists were
responsible for spreading mental diseases by writing articles in an
unresponsible manner, and did she not say that the Masters had said there
would some day in an unspecified future be neccesary to appoint an entirely
new police force, a "thought police" unit, to defend people against
destructive thinking? The Internet of today held so sacred by so many people
can ideed be an earthly "blessing" in many ways, but it does contain A LOT
of what a theosophist would call "destructive articles". The problem is the
same as always. People just don't take their moral responsibility toward
their fellow men and themselves. This is exactly why we cannot have an
anarchist society, because people don't live their "free" lives in a
responsible manner. Many factors intervene in this discussion; for example
the fact that most people raging against, say, pornography, consume
pornograhy in secret. A vast number of men do, and to a much lesser degree,
women also. Remember that Clinton's reason for signing the Communications
Decency Act has little to do with morality, much more with power and
influence. Signing the Act will probably increase his popularity with the
strong, expanding Christian Movement within the USA. This way a lot of
people will be happy. Unfortunately the Act may also become an instrument to
opress women, minorities, and other people already suffering from what from
a secular viewpoint is an unjust world. If we stop to think about the matter
we can see that there are many pros and cons of a Decency Act. If it is
installed we should all see to that it is not abused (urealistic thought?)
This forum is perhaps not intended for political discussions, but since the
topic has been included with the regular theosophical articles, the need was
felt to comment upon the matter. This is all worth thinking about before we
all cry "Hail to Internet".

Fredrik Montelius, ULT Malmoe, Sweden

  I am postng this mainly for members of the TS with Web pages.  The U.S.
Congress