Hilarion to WQ Judge

Jan 20, 1996 09:47 AM
by Nicholas Weeks

In late April of 1887 WQ Judge wrote to HPB in London. His letter must
have had some note of depression in it. When HPB's response reached
Judge, he found another letter, from the Adept Hilarion, enclosed. I am
sure it lifted Judge's spirits -- so also it will inspire us.
********************
LEAVES OF THEOSOPHICAL HISTORY

[The following is from a copy which is held in the archives of the
Theosophical Headquarters at Point Loma and together with the
heading is reproduced verbatim et literatim.]

COPY OF A LETTER RECEIVED IN ONE FROM H.P.B. POSTMARKED MAY 10TH,
1887

You say you are a "sad case" and yet you have in your heart so
great a love for humanity and for the individual members of the
race that you are haunted night and day by thoughts of their
suffering, ignorance and pain. It is such as you who hold the human
race from falling into that bottomless pit of emptiness where
despair is forgotten and where effort is unknown.

My dear friend, for that you are, being truly the friend of all who
are looking for the light, do not forget that you are living in a
very dark and sad Maya of intensely physical life. The whole busy
continent of America is eaten up by materialism and when an effort
is made towards psychic life it results only in dragging that
psychic life into matter where it dies as a volatile gas escapes in
the hands of one who is not expert. The sadness of this fact colors
your letter. You know that any school founded amongst you would at
once become a school of practical magic working in order to produce
results in matter. This is quite true. The reason is that even
those who are most in earnest among you have no true psychic
aspirations. Remedy this in yourself and endeavor to remedy it in
others by word and example.

Desire no results which are forms of power. Desire only, in your
efforts, to reach nearer to the center of life (which is the same
in the Universe and in yourself) which makes you careless whether
you are strong or weak, learned or unlearned. It is your divinity;
it is the divinity we all share. But its existence is not credited
by those who look only for money or power or success in material
effort. (I include intellect in matter.)

Lean I pray you in thought and feeling away from these external
problems which you have written down in your letter; draw on the
breath of the great life throbbing in us all and let faith (which
is unlearned knowledge) carry you through your life as a bird flies
in the air -- undoubtingly. Only remember one thing -- when once
you fling yourself on the great life of Nature, the force that
keeps the world in motion and our pulses beating and which has
within it, in its heart, a supreme and awful power -- once having
done that, you can never again claim back your life. You must let
yourself swing with the motions of the spheres. You must live for
other men and with them; not for or with yourself. You will do
this, I am sure.

[signed with outline of triangle.]

["Theosophical Forum," Vol. VI #9, May 15, 1935, p. 232]

--
Nicholas <> am455@lafn.org <> Los Angeles
	"Men must learn to love the truth before they thoroughly believe it."