Re: TI Project 01

Dec 27, 1996 08:10 PM
by Murray Stentiford Scientific Software and Systems Ltd

I'm very much in favour of an attempt to express the key ideas of theosophy
in ways that relate to newcomers' needs and experience. It's an idea that
has come to many over the years but not found the person/people with time
as well as requisite insight to do it.

JRC although you have said that you do not want to be considered a
teacher I reckon you have a real neat way with words. I'd really like to
see you give it a go if only in a few of the subject areas.

Idea: I think it would help any who try writing for this project to
get into or remember a discussion with young people and then write
to the needs that come out of it.

I hate to suggest another theos-x list but what about a theos-intro?
It's similar to the lo-brow idea that was floated a couple of months ago
but would be more specifically intended for newcomers where they could
ask the simplest of questions without feeling they were breaking into some
convocation of scholars and cognoscenti. Where they would receive warm
enthusiastic responses and feel listened-to. This would be a great thing
in itself but would also give those who want to write introductory stuff
a heap of ideas and slants on just what problems to answer and how to
address them.

Theos-intro would be supported by possibly anyone in the theos-l group
who felt motivated by a desire to respond. This would be a sort of living
home page and hypertext network. Perhaps some more thought is needed here
on *whose* version of theosophy is to be presented but I think the best
thing is just to respect the freedom of enquiriers to enquire as much
as that of others to give their opinions. The delete key is a great
leveler!

The answers themselves along with the queries could be great compiled
into a collection. Perhaps not everything but there could be somoe
selections and editing. For that matter we have the archives of theos-l
itself which could be scanned for introductory material. There may not
be that much but there certainly has been some for example just recently
Richard Ihles' response to Anne Bermingham on his levels/degrees concept
which by the way I find highly expressive and relevant.

So there's more than one idea.

Murray Stentiford
Member Theosophy International