RE: Solstice

Dec 26, 1996 03:58 AM
by Peter I. Walstra

Just my part of the experience...

Some friends of mine were talking about doing something special at the time
of the solstice at midnight for celebrating this turning point. I didn't hear
much of it anymore and at the appointed evening I was still working late
having to follow a study course in evening hours. Tired as I was I did decide
to drop by with my friends and found out that they were having a dip as well
and there was only the three of us. After some tea we made a short walk
outside; it was misty gloomy and cold. Feeling still somewhat unsatisfied
we decided to head for a small kind of forest nearby. Nobody to be seen
there; just some noise of cars in the distance. There was a small lake and
some ice had already formed just about enough to shuffle around a bit on the
water. We didn't have any specific ceremony in mind but saying the Great
Invocation together hands joined standing in a triangle seemed very
appropriate. Especially the part of invoking Light from the mind of God. It
was a solemn silence afterwards despite the cold feet : and back home we
all were glad we had given some attention to the solstice after all. It may
not be much or look trivial and weird to passers-by! but actually doing
something physically when it's much easier keeping seated in front of the
television with a lot of x-mas cookies makes you just a little bit more
conscious -again- about being an earth-citizen.

/* Peter I. Walstra */
Private: pwalstra@pi.net
Member Theosophy International WTYF TS [...] Human Race.