Computers and Spirituality

Dec 22, 1996 06:36 AM
by Keith Price

When I think about the hours I prostrate myself before the little one-eyed idol
named 486 I wonder if I am getting the same benefit as the Dalai Lama before
the Buddha. Computers can take a large chunk out of one's life and pocketbook.
Some may rememember the work of Marshall McLuhan and his work "The Medium is
the Massage." TV is a cold medium because you have to complete the image. When
I think of people that post on theos-l and other places I think of their words
and have to complete an image of the other 6+ vehicles. I can't see you hear
you smell you or get a "look" at your auras or emotional projections.

One has to use one's intuition to complete a picture based on verbal
communication. Yet we also have to do this one a person is physically present
but we have the advantage of all the non-verbal clues.

Computers started in the cold analytical fields of math science then moved to
business and are now rapidly trying to become warm and fuzzy.

No doubt there will soon be on-line churches if there aren't already.
Computers could possibly be used to cross-reference and analyze elements of
various religious traditions and generate new one--create a new cyber-mythos?
.
1. Do ANSI color characters help? They are use sometime on the local BBS's.
2. How will multi-media particullarly sound and motion aid in the education
and transmission of religious theosophical and other ideas?
3. How are the on-line discussion going on the WWW?
4. For those that are Compuserve do you want to try to meet in an open live
conference room on the "New Age Forum" over the holidays? The are usually
empty except at the time of a scheduled conference? I know there are about
five of us- Ann B Jerry S. Jim M. Don De G.-- and some others? Anyone have a
topic and a time?

Namaste
Keith Price