Dark Night of the Soul

Dec 20, 1996 05:10 PM
by guru

> > I mentioned that if there is sufficient experience of the higher
> > principles there is no "dark night" when one shifts away from the
> > lower.
>
> I am not familiar with other writers who expouse this idea. Could you
> share some reference? I thought it was a step in the rungs of the
> ladder so to speak which was universally experienced--similar to
> the Dweller on the threshold idea.
>
> Sounds more like wishful thinking to me. It would be nice if we could
> advance without the tests the fire which tempers the steel or would
> it?
>
> Lewis

I can't recall the original post you are quoting here but
consider if you will that it might not be connected to any
writer at all but to someone's experience? I agree with the
quote as it represents my own experience. At the same time I
have had what was without doubt a "dark night of the soul" as
well but at another time in another circumstance in this
life not a former one or combination of lives.

Having said that while fire and steel may not be necessary you
don't get something for nothing - it has to be worked at and
for realising in the process that "seeking powers" is
counter-productive.

Alan
--
Member Theosophy International - how about you?
Member Human Race.