Re: Trust Problem

Dec 13, 1996 03:46 PM
by eldon

Rich:

>Regarding the whole TSA amendments discussion --

>If there is ANY need for "control" from the top of the T.S. then
>we have a problem.

This discussion on the asssertion of greater control over lodges by
Wheaton makes me think about something that happened in the recent
past. I'm not sure exactly which year but it was not too many years
ago.

It used to be that a number of members could apply for a charter
and form a Study Center or Lodge. Now the groups are probationary
and must demonstrate some attempt to study Theosophy in order to
become regular groups. If I and a few people in Los Angeles with
perhaps a 10-to-20 years average in theosophical studies were to
apply to form a group we'd be in the same probationary status as
any other group. This represents another attempt to control the
studies and direction of groups.

The intent of this policy may be good to insure that entirely
new people have some guidance when they first get together to study
Theosophy. But it is still a form of centralized control.

-- Eldon