Re: By-Law Revision/Boston Lodge Sale

Dec 12, 1996 02:52 PM
by Richtay

Liesel wrote

> Rich
>
> If you were the Secretary of the Boston Lodge please tell us how it
> came about that the building near Boston U campus was sold.
>
> Also do you know what happened to Lou DeLuca?
>
> Thanks.

The building near Boston Univesity was sold because a Boston University
wanted it back and b it was necessary to liquidate funds to pay for the
lawsuit and to have dividends to split up between the two parties. 2/3 of
the assets remaining after the legal fees went to the newly incorporated
and independent Besant Lodge autonomous from TSA and 1/3 went to the
Blavatsky branch headed by regional director Fernando De Torrijos and his
wife Ruth. The building near BU was sold to the campus for nearly 01 million
dollars. There were nearly $400000 in legal fees and then $390000 went to
the Besant Lodge and nearly $200000 went to the Blavatsky lodge.

The Besant group used their money to buy the new building in Arlington a
suburb of Boston on the other side of the Charles River the next city out
beyond Cambridge.

The Blavatsky group meets privately in homes of members and to my knowledge
does not yet have meetings open to the public. It is not clear where the
funds have gone but I suppose that is the business of the TSA in Wheaton.

Both sides have very devoted serious Theosophists with totally opposing
points of view. If I were to characterize it the Besant lodge is into
"neo-Theosophy" and the Blavatsky lodge sticks to the lines first laid down
HPB Judge and the Mahatmas. But that is only my personal impression.

The Besant lodge likes to proudly show their "orthodoxy" by touting their
S.D. study group but I founded that study group myself over the strong
disinterest of the TS board there and for months we met in the BU building
with two members me and one student from Boston College. I have since moved
to UC Berkeley my student to pursue his Ph.D. at UC Santa Barbara.

Besant lodge never had a real interest in HPB except as a name to conjure
with and a figurehead under which to carry out their Bailey/Roerich/New Age
program. I strongly disapprove of their studies but HEY --- that's my
opinion and you will not catch me insulting them let alone spreading
vicious lies about using their monies from the lawsuit fraudulently.

Rich