Re: Social programs

Nov 27, 1995 02:43 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Tullis:
>Therefore in conclusion I would argue that reducing capital gains taxes tends

>to be an indirect but causal influence on job creation. The best thing for
poor
>people is more opportunities for jobs.

What kind of jobs? Working at a fast food joint? Many jobs remained unfilled
due to a shortage of skilled or educated labor. People trying to get off
welfare need training so they can make enough money to feed their families. The
jobs they often qualify for are so low-paying and have no medical benefits that
they have no choice but to stay on welfare especially if they or their children
have medical problems.

>Therefore in the specific case of capital gains taxation the optimal way
>to help the poor is not to tax capital gains and then through an inefficient
>bureaucracy which expends a large portion of those taxes on federal salaries
>and paperwork pass the remaining funds directly to the poor.

My husband was born legally blind. He received funding for his education from
the Divison of Vocational Rehabilitation. Unfortunately it was never enough to
graduate with a degree but only to give him enough training to get a job in
data processing.

It is an interesting idea - giving the "poor" the money directly. Would that
have allowed my husband to finish and get a degree? The lack of a full degree
holds him back from applying for some jobs. Would those funds "passed on" be
enough to cover tuition for anyone wishing to further themselves with education?

- ann