PC Usage and TV

Nov 25, 1995 06:48 PM
by M K Ramadoss

The following newsreport appeared in the local newspaper. The trend
reported seems to indicate a good trend and we Theosophist may want to take
notice of. Future access to younger generation may lie in PC and Internet.

PC USAGE PUTS DENT IN TV VIEWING
USA Today Services

New York: - Look out TV networks. People watch less TV when they
buy personal computers recent studies show.

"The PC is unquestionably taking people away from the television
set" says Tom Miller. VP of Emerging Technologies Research Group at
FINDSVP. "I would guess it's on the average of one to two hours a night over
all PC household."

Hard data remains scarce. Only about 35 percent of all homes have a
PC. 13 percent have CD-ROMs and 7.5 percent use on-line services.

Yet TV viewing is off slightly compared with last year for the TV
season that began in Sep. And one new study shows that PCs lure lots
of young people from TV.

Viewers under 18 watch less TV in 64 percent of all homes with PCs
according to a survey of 1200 families conducted by FIND-SVP and Grunwald
Associates.

The figure grows to 75 percent when there's a multimedia PC and to
88 percent in homes where kids use on-line services. And most young people
use PCs during TV's lucrative prime time.