Re: To be a Theosophist

Nov 02, 1995 06:31 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Coherence@aol.com:

> Let's talk about generalities for a moment. Are you or are you not a
> Theosophist? YOU make that determination by your actions and not by ANY
> membership or affiliation. "Theosophist is who Theosophy does" HPB would
> say probably quickly followed by her other favorite line "A tree is known
> by its fruit." So the test for you and no one else is "Am I in the service
> of Humanity and doing my DUTY by all?"

By that test being a faithful adherent/practitioner of the
Cayce philosophy is equivalent to being a Theosophist.

Are you worthy of respect as a
> Theosophist? I would follow this immediately by "Who are those from whom the
> respect should come?"

OK-- some practical issues. I'm a writer and my sole interest
is in spirituality sole authorial interest that is. Would
any Theosophical publisher welcome my work either in article
or book form? If not and the answer seems pretty definitely
not then I'm not respected as a Theosophist where it counts
as a writer. Certainly most of the individual Theosophists I've
come to know DO show that respect but they don't run things.

For me the ultimate question that led to resignation from both
Adyar and Pasadena TS's was "if asked by a friend would I
recommend joining a Theosophical organization?" Although there
are many local groups I would encourage people to attend I
really couldn't in good conscience encourage a friend to join
any of the national/international societies. And at another
level "are HPB and her teachers and successors at the center
of my spiritual reality now?" No; they're very much present in
it but no longer central.

> Next why are you so concerned by the karmic effects of your books? You
> are attached to results which implies self-interest or selfishness.
> Selflessness or at least "not selfish" is the litmus test to be applied.
> See Bhagavad Gita Closely related to this the question must be asked
> "What was my motive or intent in the publication of my material?" If you are
> to be considered a true Theosophist then your motive should have been in the
> service of Humanity. See para. above If your motive was altruistic then
> you have nothing to fear. If it was selfish and looking for reward of some
> sort you still have nothing to fear. The Karma will come which you created
> and therefore can endure and if your eyes are open you will learn.

Gurdjieff teaches about the "Law of Otherwise"-- things always
turn out otherwise than expected. I never dreamed that the
non-Theosophical world would reward my work as it has with
sales and reviews and friendships. But I also never dreamed
that the Theosophical world would punish it as severely as it
has. Yeah I'm attached to results in terms of having lots of
consternation about them good and bad and getting fixated on
it. The motive however was frankly not service of Humanity
OR personal reward but service to the Theosophical movement.
Proving the reality of the Masters and thus getting HPB and
Theosophy some long-overdue respect. Karma came all right.
John Algeo actually told me in advance that his two reviews
would hurt me that I wouldn't like them to be exact AND that
they were being written BECAUSE of the good ones I had gotten
elsewhere. I'm still processing this turn of events trying to
keep eyes open and learn as much as possible from it.

snip
> touch it at all. It is the duty of a Theosophist to lighten his burden by
> thinking of the wise aphorism of Epictetus who says: "Be not diverted from
> your duty by any idle reflection the silly world may make upon you for their
> censures are not in your power and consequently should not be any part of
> your concern."
>
> So lighten your burden and Good Luck.

Good quote; thanks.