Dribble box

Oct 26, 1995 01:56 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Dr. Bain:
>*Dribble box*??? Please enlighten this ignorant Brit!

A highly personal term which I used to describe the steady trickle of nonsense
that is called net work television. In the US, we're inundated with soap
operas, talk shows and TV tabloids. These days, the network executives and
sponsors think the public is mesmerized by every sleazy detail of every person's
life, famous and not-so-famous. And the ratings have proved them right.

The public television channel here in Chicago shows reruns of Britain's Are You
Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances and Masterpiece Theater, along with
British mysteries. How is television in the UK? My husband and I used to love
Dr. Who.

- ann