Re: What authenticates what we Believe?

Sep 24, 1995 11:04 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Lewis:

You made a number of comments to Jerry S. that I would like to respond to.

>Lewis: I agree the limitations of the finite mind make it incapable
>"of the infinite." I think of the bridge aspect more along the lines
>of a scientist working on a problem who uses his rational mind to do
>the ground work then suddenly awakes in the middle of the night with
>the answer.

When we look at the gulf between our finite mind and the infinite,
there is no direct connection. It's like a finger pointing at the
moon. The distances are cosmic. But there is another "bigger" to
look at. There are relatively higher levels of knowing. We can
look to the next higher level, and behold something higher, grander,
and achievable. There are, I'd say, an infinite number of finite
steps between where we are at and the ultimate, even for our minds,
and it is a very real thing to seek "the next step".

>In brain stroming sessions participants are encouraged to throw
>every idea that occurs to them immediately into the discussion,
>not editing them in any way. The more creative ideas seem to only
>come once we have run through all the more "logical" or rational
>ideas.

There are different types of knowing or thought. One is not higher,
just qualitatively different. We need all of them.

> [speaking to Jerry S]
>I have to confess to being one of those who knows little of Jnana
>Yoga. I am sure you are not suggesting we should push are selves to a
>point of a mental breakdown. It is true the brain can be overtaxed
>which can lead to some paranormal experiences.

The contemplation of the Teachings can be used as an approach that
opens inner spiritual faculties. This is not due to exhaustion, but
from a flowering over time of our inner natures.

>I met a man who said that he had a religious experience while
>studying for long hours the texts of different religions. He said
>Jesus appeared to him and told him he was going to far and should
>stop. He interpreted this as a warning that his interest in these
>other religions was getting him into trouble. He is now a devoted
>Christian. Some TS writers have a less "revelational" point of view
>on these type experiences.

The aim of the study is not to induce visions, nor are they necessarily
a sign that progress is being made. Rather, we find ourselves transformed
inwardly. We think less of ourselves as personalities with specific
desires and needs, and our minds and hearts are filled with grand
thoughts and inspired.

>This reminds me of the genius who has surpassed us in his area of
>expertise, but lacks other simple attributes readily found in others.

It is possible to have an unbalanced development. But that is different
than the approach where the spiritual nature is awakened, and the rest
of external life will naturally, almost magically rearrange itself
according to the higher power that appears in our lives.

>I think it is a matter of time and the -- I was going to say
>perfection, but that word has some loaded connotations -- mastery of
>all our faculties will come but not all at once. Naturally, we may
>achieve mastery of some before others.

There are two things here. There is the sense of initiation or the
awakening of qualitatively different faculties of consciousness. And
there is the gradual development of those faculties over vast ages
of use.

>I agree there is a difference between knowledge as you are
>using it and Gnosis or wisdom. Our thoughts are tools which can be
>put to great service, but require much practice and training.

Wisdom is knowledge that has become a living part of our lives. It is
not so much specific factual information as it is a understanding about
how things work, combined with the ability to quickly perceive things.

>This reminds me of the a meditation technique in which the
>student disassociates himself first from the physcial body, then the
>emotions, then the thoughts thus slowly withdrawing his consciousness
>form the vehicles of normal activity.

We can make an effort to disassociate ourselves from these various
parts. But that is a form of looking for the spiritual by "double
negation". We say "don't look at this," then "don't look at that."
There is a more direct approach of simply gazing at, with utter
amazement and fascination, the living spiritual presence and fount
of wisdom that is before and within us.

>It was very difficult for me to
>accept the notion that "I am not this body."

When you think of the body and try to say "I am not this," you're
taking the approach of trying to disassocate from that which you
behold. It doesn't work well that way. Rather, I'd suggest, look
at that which you want to see, and you'll quickly become interested
enough to forget the body and externalities.

>Then I discovered the opposite correlation which approaches this
>exercise by having the student recognize the body as a part of
>himself, but that he is more than just the physcial body. He also has
>an emotional and mental component. This accepts rather than rejects
>these elements of our complex being and was for me much more
>satisfying.

That's part of the way, as I'd put it. Don't push away anything.
Simply contemplate the object of contemplation, and if you truly
behold it, nothing will stand in the way of your vision.

-- Eldon