A Cloud of Witnesses to Truth

Sep 10, 1995 09:08 PM
by Arthur Paul Patterson

At 9:45 AM 9/11/95, dhedrick@csn.net wrote:
>Have you ever read writings from any of the following?

Unfortunately I think you may believe that many of us haven't explored the
evangelical tradition but you are wrong. Some have live it explored and
moved on honoring but not holding to it.

>Walter Martin

Art: Martin wrote Kingdom of the Cults which refuted false doctrine of many
movements. I found it interesting that he included Charismatic movement and
Roman Catholicism as a cult.

>John Bunyan

Art: I have taught two courses on Bunyan's Pilgrim's progress and was a
student under a famous scholar of Puritanism JI Packer. Love the symbolism
love, the allegory, the passion and the universal appeal of Bunyan.
Including his commitment.

>Ron Rhodes

Art: ?
>Norman Geisler Introduction the Bible

Norman and a fellow called Nix wrote an evangelical rebuttal to scholarly
critical work.It was a very abrasive book and you could tell that the
authors only read for what they found missing in authors they reviewed. I
studied with Nix at Seminary for a full term course. In class I remember
asking myself the question, "If this man (Nix) has the truth then why does
it sound like a lie when I know some of it is true." It had to do with his
intolerant tone and denigration of others who didn't think like him.

>John Owen On Sin and Temptation

This work was challenging from a language point of view 17th Century
English is hard to read. He was undoubtedly a genius and had some insights
concerning the human condition that even outstrip Freud in their depth of
psychological wisdom. I want to re-read him. That I found difficult was his
understanding of limited atonement to those elected by God for salvation.
But with historical empathy he can be read to great benefit.

?

>CS Lewis Mere Christianity, Till We Have Faces etc.

I find Lewis' apologetics to be rationalistic and defensive but his
mythological work to be superb. He holds some very enlightened views
concerning universal redemption which include the salvation of the sincere
seeker in other traditions than Christianity.

>John Ankerburg
>
>To name a few.
>The above scholars are men of integrity and who
>certainly maintained their faith in Christ Jesus
>and would have strongly condemned any faith
>that did not soley reside with Christ and biblical
>theology. They are or were considered the best
>of the apologists that have ever served the
>one and only Master Jesus Christ.
>
>Were these men disalussioned, deceitful or
>destined?

Since I have studied most pretty thoroughly I say they were great people,
well most of them. And they had very interesting perspectives that demand
our attention. I don't think that they were super-beings or infallible, or
even the smartest individuals that walked the planet. But they are people
of faith and I respect that.

 What could be done on this list is to look at the people we are indebted
to. I am only name dropping now with very little research but I think I
would add to Daniel's names of important people to consider:

Ralph Waldo Emerson (my current mentor and master of sorts)
Helena P. Blavatsky
Alice Bailey
C. Leadbeater
Rudold Steiner
Gurdjieff
Dali Lama
Anne Besant

And then more close to home:

Jerry E
Jerry S
A. Bain
Paul Johnson
Liesel
Brenda T.
Patrick
Rich
and the rest of Theos-l

All these people, the people on all these lists, have something of the
Master (s) in them. Never are they to be taken as infallible, inordinately
authorative but each with gifts differing.

Thankfully,

Arthur Paul Patterson