Re: to Liesel on Group Souls

Sep 09, 1995 09:09 AM
by Geraldjs

Eldon:<I would describe the sweep of evolution as going from (1) homogeneous
unity, to (2) hetrogeneous disunity and apparent chaos and individualism,
 returning to (3) heterogeneous unity. A return from (2) to (1) would be
regressive rather than a completion of the evolutionary sweep. We continue to
individualize as we return to a new form of unity that allows our growing
differences of self-expression to cooperatively harmonize.>
 Eldon is speaking the party line here, but I have to differ. I
see the whole thing as a vast cycle with evolution on the downward Arc of
Descent, and involution on the upward Arc of Ascent. I would say that your
(1) is, in fact, also a heterogenous unity, although I can't even imagine
what a "heterogeneous unity" would be. It would appear to be a contradiction
of terms (a paradox, no doubt). Perhaps (1) and (3) are both homogenous and
heterogenous depending on how you want to look at it (?). Whatever the
case, I can't see how (1) can possibly differ from (3). But I know that this
particular thought (which seems to give the whole peregrination business some
kind of deep progress) is cherished by many theosophists including G de P
(with whom I seldom take exception). This notion (which I have to assume
comes from an ignorance of what "outside space-time" means) tells us that at
the end of each manvantara, we are "higher" than when we started. Perhaps we
will find ourselves on a higher subplane, but how this fits in with
spacelessness and timelessness I can't imagine. Perhaps Eldon can answer
this question: Is our manvantaric progess an evolution or an involution?
 This kind of a legitimite question cannot be answered, because there is no
answer. For every involution there must be a corresponding involution
somewhere. I don't think that theosophists have fully thought this one out.
 Perhaps the early theosophical writers were just echoed the human desire for
some kind of an objective or meaning to a manvantara. My own belief is that
we do it to express ourselves because self-expression is an inherent divine
quality, and we simply need no other reason. But, perhaps I am being too
mystical here, and so I won't fault anyone who wants to think that
manvantaras are spiral. But I do want to let everyone know that I, at least,
think that they are cyclical, the circle being the ancient symbol for
existence, not the spiral.

 Jerry S.