HPB's interesting article

Sep 02, 1995 03:39 PM
by Richtay

In all this discussion of this writer, that writer, and HPB among others, I
looked for something HPB wrote in her magazine LUCIFER that might shed light
on the situation.

This I found in her article "On Pseudo-Theosophy," a subject she was much
concerned with and discussed at length:

"If the "false prophets of Theosophy" are to be left untouched, the TRUE
prophets will be very soon -- as they have already been -- confused with the
false. It is nigh time to winnow our corn and cast away the chaff. The T.S.
is becoming enormous in its numbers, and if the FALSE prophets, the
pretenders ... or even the weak-minded dupes, are left alone, then the
Society threatens very soon to become a fanatical body split into three
hundred sects -- like Protestantism -- each hating the other, and all bent on
destroying the truth by monstrous exaggerations and idiotic schemes and
shams. We do not believe in allowing the presence of SHAM elements in
Theosophy, because of the fear, forsooth, that if even "a false element in
the faith" is RIDICULED, the latter "is apt to shake the confidence" in the
whole ..."

One reason I admire HPB so much is her very clear vision; this paragraph,
quoted from among so many astute observations, seems to lay out the entire
century of the movement after her death. But we, MORE than a hundred years
later, are perhaps at a unique interval to correct some of our own errors --
and I suspect we have ALL made errors -- and try to set ourselves up in the
track and vibration of the Masters, who will certainly guide our
"self-induced and self-devised efforts" if we ask Them to.