Re: The Dalai Lama on Peace

Aug 03, 1995 05:14 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

Dear JRC and friends--

The article is, like everything I've seen by the Dalai Lama,
lovely, inspiring, clearly stated, unarguable. But also, alas,
idealistic to the point of being disconnected from the world as
we live it. How do we get from here to there? All his ideals are
wonderful, but I would prefer a theos-l discussion on the
immediately practical part. How do we disarm ourselves
psychologically? Is it a safe and wise thing to do? He says we
should, but the whole attack/defend fight/flight cycle is
hardwired into us by eons of evolution. Of course Theosophy
tells us that we also have the means to transform it, which is
equally a product of evolution.

Good topic for discussion, John, and I hope others follow up.