1900 K.H. Letter?

Aug 01, 1995 09:36 AM
by APRIORIPAA

I found this letter/text posted in the public domain on
compuserve and thought to share it here. Does anyone know what
book/publication it might be from?

Peace, Patrick

 THE 1900 LETTER

A psychic and a pranayamist who has got confused by the vagaries
of the members. The T.S. and its members are slowly
manufacturing a creed. Says a Thibetan proverb "credulity breeds
credulity and ends in hypocrisy." How few are they who can know
anything about us. Are we to be propitiated and made idols of.
Is the worship of a new Trinity made up of the Blessed M.,
Upasika and yourself to take the place of exploded creeds. We
ask not for the worship of ourselves. The disciple should in no
way be fettered. Beware of an Esoteric Popery. The intense
desire to see Upasika reincarnate at once has raised a misleading
Mayavic ideation. Upasika has useful work to do on higher planes
and cannot come again so soon. The T.S. must safely be ushered
into the new century. You have for some time been under deluding
influences. Shun pride, vanity and love of power. Be not guided
by emotion but learn to stand alone. Be accurate and critical
rather than credulous. The mistake of the past in the old
religions must not be glossed over with imaginary explanations.
The E.S.T. must be reformed so as to be as unsectarian and
creedless as the T.S.. The rules must be few and simple and
acceptable to all. No one has the right to claim authority over
a pupil or his conscience. Ask him not what he believes. All
who are sincere and pure minded must have admittance. The crest
wave of intellectual advancement must be taken hold of and guided
into spirituality. It cannot be forced into beliefs and
emotional worship. The essence of the higher thoughts of the
members in their collectivity must guide all action in the T.S.
and E.S.. We never try to subject to ourselves the will of
another. At favourable times we let loose elevating influences
which strike various persons in various ways. It is the
collective aspect of many such thoughts that can give the correct
note of action. We show no favours. The best corrective of
error is an honest and open-minded examination of all facts
subjective and objective. Misleading secrecy has given the death
blow to numerous organizations. The cant about "Masters" must be
silently but firmly put down. Let the devotion and service be to
that Supreme Spirit alone of which one is a part. Namelessly and
silently we work and the continual references to ourselves and
the repetition of our names raises up a confused aura that
hinders our work. You will have to leave a good deal of your
emotions and credulity before you become a safe guide among the
influences that will commence to work in the new cycle. The T.S.
was meant to be the corner-stone of the future religions of
humanity. To accomplish this object those who lead must leave
aside their weak predilections for the forms and ceremonies of
any particular creed and show themselves to be true Theosophists
both in inner thoughts and outward observances. The greatest of
your trials is yet to come. We watch over you but you must put
forth all your strength.

 K.H.

(Underlined print indicates omitted sections).