Re: A few questions to JRC and A. BAin

Jun 24, 1995 07:58 PM
by Paul Gillingwater

astrea@actrix.co.at (Astrea) writes:

> There are a cluster of ideas which have tended to be promoted
> through out Theosophical Societies, but more than this, there is
> also something of a tradition of free thought and questioning of
> authorities, so that any of these ideas are open to inquiry and
> even criticism by its members.  Some members even question the
> questioning of authorities! This is actually quite healthy, I
> think, and is one of the important differences between the
> society and most churches.

I fully support this view, and welcome the chance to debate these
questions with theosophists of the calibre of Alan Bain et al.
It gives me a chance to clarify my own thinking, and to try to
understand why my beliefs have evolved as they have.

One of my favourite quotes in this regard comes from a member of
Wellington lodge in New Zealand called Vladimir Loncar, who says
that the "T.S.  is the place where questions are answered and
answers are questioned." In this spirit, I am going to spend some
time thinking up replies, and will try to contribute more to this
fascinating debate.

Paul Gillingwater