Re: reincarnation

Jun 23, 1995 05:30 PM
by Astrea

von@telepath.com (vaughn webb) writes:

> greetings all,

Greetings and salutations!

> as a newcomer to theos I have been uplifted and edified by the
> letters that I have been reading.

That's good.

> some light.  Re: reincarnation...are the many documented cases of
> past life memories just that or are what we experience some kind
> of genetic memory,i.e.  the memories and histories of our
> ancestors are kept deep within some sort of memory file gene.

The standard " theosophical" line is that reincarnation is true,
and the spirit learns by progressive incarnations.  THis is very
similar to the Hindu view, although some Buddhists tend to think
that there is no independent soul at all, but a bundle of
tendencies or samskaras somehow continues from life to life.

I did a hypnotic past life regression recently with interesting
results.  There did seem to be memories linked to emotional and
physical complexes.  Then more recently, I did a spontaneous
regression with the help of an inner guide this time, who seemed
to take me back to my first human incarnation.  Ever curious, I
wanted to see what came before that, and pushed back further,
finding myself in a sub-human ape-like body.  It was quite
interesting, but I wasn't very keen to find out more about it, or
to go back further.  I find myself asking the same question: were
these my memories, or something genetically programmed or
imprinted into the body, or a kind of psychodrama? They did seem
to have resonances in the body itself ie not just "imagination."
Whatever they are, they do reveal something of the psychology of
the subconscious mind, and offer opportunities to learn.

On previous occasions I have also had "waking dreams" and actual
dreams about what seemed to be past lives.

ASTREA