Good books: Man the Measure of All Things

Jun 16, 1995 07:39 AM
by Sy Ginsburg

Hi Paul-Erik,

The books you cite, "Man, the Measure of all Things" by Sri
Krishna Prem and Sri Madhava Ashish, and "Man, Son of Man" by Sri
Madhava Ashish, were also my introduction to Theosophy in 1978.
When I came across HPB's writings and realized that the Secret
Doctrine was her magnum opus and that in turn is based on The
Stanzas of Dzyan, and when I also realized, I didn't understand a
thing about what she was saying, I looked for commentaries on the
Stanzas, and thus found the 2 "Stanza" books.

I was so impressed that I wrote a letter to Ashish c/o the
Theosophical Publishing House (Prem had already died in 1964),
and in due course received a reply.  I subsequently visited him
in India where he is the head of a small residential farm
(ashram) in the foothills of the Himalayas.  I have been back
there many times.  You might be interested to know that Ashish is
an Englishman, who went to India more than 50 years ago, and
became a Hindu monk.  A really extraordinary and grand
individual.

You could also read, "Initiation into Yoga", a collection of
articles by Sri Krishna Prem, who was Ashish's guru.  It is
currently in print through Theosophical Publishing House.

Good luck on your quest.

Sy Ginsburg