Re: Another view on Core Concepts

Apr 19, 1995 02:42 AM
by Astrea

MARTINLEI@eworld.com writes:

> The idea of "Core Concepts" in Theosophy always bothered me.
> They are very Aristotelian in nature.

What's wrong with Aristotle? I know he was a rather dry writer,
but has contributed much of value to Western civilization,
particularly in respect of the scientific method.

Once you separate them, define them, explain them you
> have got nowhere.

If Theosophy has no core concepts, how can we have any idea of
what we are talking about? Why even have the Theosophical
Society? Admittedly there may be a "higher" (read:more abstract)
experience of Theosophy which transcends definition.  But how can
this be promoted or communicated?

 They are a closed road. Ultimately they lead to the death
> of Theosophy in a study group and in our minds.

Oh dear!

> You see, Theosophy -interpreting the spirit of HPB - is shown in
> two faces:
>
> ......... Exoterically = through the three objects of the T. S.
> .........  Esoterically = through the three fundamental
> propositions as established in the Secret Doctrine, see Proem.
>
> There you provide the seeker with a lot of hope and wonder, with
> a whole picture, a historical, mythical and mystical path that
> transcends our own souls....  there is no end to it

Why does this exclude core concepts, or at least clusters of ideas?
Maybe what you're really objecting to is a certain dogmatism, and a lack
of spirit of inquiry amongst members of the TS.

ASTREA