Re: THEOS-L digest 177

Mar 30, 1995 02:55 PM
by euser

Mark Barville asked for info about Bailey.

Alice Leighton-Cleather and Basil Crump have written a couple of
articles about Bailey, which are bundled in a booklet called:

~The pseudo-occultism of Mrs.  A.  Bailey~

Leighton- Cleather compares passages from ~Cosmic Fire~ (from
Bailey) with Theosophical writings (from HPB and the Masters).
Quite illuminating!

It contains also some severe criticisms on Besant & Leadbeater
(sorry, folks) which she regarded as promoting some
"Neo-Theosophy".  It also includes notes on "initiation, human
and solar" from Bailey & severe criticisms on the episode of 'the
world teacher'.

The booklet is probably difficult to get [ I bought it while
being member of the Dutch Point Loma Society - this branch
(re)printed it] It was more or less inspired by Mr.  J.C.
Miller, a member of the Blavatsky Association, Manila.  If you,
Mark, are interested in it I could make a copy of it (about 20
pages) and mail it to you.

Final remark: the booklet is a real 'must' for those who have
questions about Bailey, etc.  The funny thing is I myself have
read almost all of Bailey's books when I was young, starting at
16, and that's how I got to know about Theosophy (also by reading
Steiner).  I guess we have to think for ourselves when reading
these kind of books; if we learn from these books-ok; if we
don't-try something else.

Martin Euser