RE: Original Programme

Mar 30, 1995 01:20 PM
by LieselFD

K.Paul ends this description of all the things theosophists
aren't supposed to be, with

"This is a very tall order indeed.  Judgement of people and
actions is going on inside us all the time.  What would it be to
transcend this? How can we start to comprehend the real nature of
a theosophist?"

I learned something from Serge King in that direction, which
helps, when I remember to apply it, which I don't always, because
it's real eassy to forget & blame the other guy for not doing
what you expect him/her to do..  I mentioned it the other day.
Serge talks about "Should Rules".

A "Should Rule" is a rule by which you yourself think you ought
to function, & sometimes you do, & sometimes you don't, but you
certainly think other people should function by your "should
rule".  The trouble with should rules is, that other people have
minds & habits of their own, & they don't always conform to your
should rules.  Other people might never even have heard of your
should rules.  In any case, they function according to their own
conscience, dharma, or what have you, & who are you to judge, who
don't know what's going on in the other person's being?

I've heard Theosophists say, when I've said, "but that's a dumb
thing so&so did yesterday.." "but you don't know why they did it.
They may have had a perfectly good reason for acting the way they
did, that you don't know anything about." I know I've done some
pretty stupid things in my time, & friends in Wheaton just
accepted it.  Thanks goodness, because that acceptance got me
through some very lousy times I was having with myself.  Besides
the friends in Wheaton there was also a great deal of helpful
acceptance from Harr y & Marie Van Gelder.  I want to mention
that especially just now, because Harry just passed over, & I
miss him.  Harry accepted what I was, in one way, & in another
way, he made me jump the hoop.  The minute I had achieved 1
thing, he was after me to achieve the next thing.  He was as
tough as any Roshi.  That just as an aside.

What also plays into this is "To us, motive is everything." The
thing is to be tolerant, and accept that another person is
following along their Path in a manner in which they have to go.
They may go the Zen or whirling Dervish way, but they'll go the
way which suits them best.  & all another friendly Theosophist
can do is to try to help them find their way, in their own way,
and not according to the friendly Theosophist's "should rules".

Liesel